• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

If you are hell bent on trading one then trade KK.  He would bring more in a trade and you have a younger cheaper replacement already.  You accomplish two things by trading KK, you clear his cap charge and have a younger, although less experienced replacement with minimal inital drop off.

:omg:

4 minutes ago, mjligon said:

I don’t think anyone is disputing it was a terrible pick.

He can’t help he was over-drafted. Might as well ride it out at this point.

I suggest you look at this thread, theirs about 80% of the huddle still trying to validate the pick

ride out what? A bench player getting first round money? If we can get something in return for a trade I say do it.

This myth that you need to have DT depth to be a good team is laughable.

His rookie deal is not really that valuable to us. He’s got 2 years left on it. No way we’d exercise the 5th year option for a backup. Benjamin was drafted in a similar spot and his 5th year option was 8.5 Million, Butlers would be even higher by the time the 5th year option comes due. 

The real question here is what kind of value could we get in return? 

I’d say if we could get the Giants 2nd rounder it’d be a no brainer. If he’s truly a starting caliber DT just stuck behind Short then surely he has some type of value. If every other team considers him just a good rotational piece then we’d likely be better keeping him as we couldn’t net much in return.

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

If you are hell bent on trading one then trade KK.  He would bring more in a trade and you have a younger cheaper replacement already.  You accomplish two things by trading KK, you clear his cap charge and have a younger, although less experienced replacement with minimal inital drop off.

I'm not sure you would get as much as people think for KK.  People need to remember that you don't trade a player, you trade their contract.  Teams might give you about as much for Butler on a really cheap contract than KK on a very expensive one. 

Think about how much Miami got for Suh.

It would clear his cap space which would be beneficial though, but I'm not convinced he would provide the same production.

Either way I'm not convinced we would get enough for him.  Also your 3rd DT is like you 3rd DE, 3rd CB, and 3rd WR.  While not starters they still get considerable snaps.  For reference he got around 35% of the snaps last year and Star got around 60%.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LotuSt00/fantasy/2017

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/ButlVe00/fantasy/2017

19 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Hurney didn’t pick Butler, Gettleman did

Gettleman instead of trying to build a winning team now was looking ahead 2 years down the road, and that’s one of the reason he got fired. It’s called counting your chickens before the hatch

Sorry my fingers typed Hurney instead of Gettleman. Damn. 

You don't pass on quality lineman. I'm sorry that you don't get that.

4 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Sorry my fingers typed Hurney instead of Gettleman. Damn. 

You don't pass on quality lineman. I'm sorry that you don't get that.

Vernon was never a quality lineman 

And yes you do when you have much bigger needs 

Archived