• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

27 minutes ago, Towelboy said:

If I’m not mistaken, KK was heading into the last year of his contract and rumors were it would cost $20M+ to resign him. Grabbing Butler was insurance in case we couldn't pay what it took to keep Short.

Butler was picked because Gettleman puts emphasis on having a deep and talented dline rotation. 

The fans didn't get it then, hence the assumptions that he was drafted as insurance. 

Ya don't draft insurance.

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

I don't understand this false statement. 

He is on the field often in one of the best interior defensive line rotation in the NFL. His impact is very noticeable when he's on the field also. 

what his butt says the reason he doesn't get on the field is because he's behind a better player, but this doesn't make him a bust. 

How does he know he's not a bust if he can't beat out someone to become a starter?

having first rounders as the last piece of a rotation is stupid. You use rotations to minimize weaknesses, not just "keep someone fresh" or whatever. 

Panthers play the slowest, most anemic form of offense in the nfl. all they care about is time of possession and keeping other offense off the field. if they really want to help out their d line, draft someone in the secondary that can cover. 

I understand both sides of the argument. I'm fine either way. If we keep him we have a talented young backup DT on a cheap contract. If we trade him hopefully we can get some help at positions of greater need. I just dont want to see us give him away for a late round pick. I'd rather hang onto him than do that.

Lmao trying to validate the Butler pick calling it “depth”

Only on the huddle 

Kyle Love is depth, undrafted free agent journeyman. That’s where you find depth.

If you’re a first round pick and your still “depth” two years in, much less 3 years in you’re a bust

Just now, GoobyPls said:

Lmao trying to validate the Butler pick calling it “depth”

Only on the huddle 

Kyle Love is depth, undrafted free agent journeyman. That’s where you find depth.

If you’re a first round pick and your still “depth” two years in, much less 3 years in you’re a bust

I don’t think anyone is disputing it was a terrible pick.

He can’t help he was over-drafted. Might as well ride it out at this point.

3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Butler was picked because Hurney puts emphasis on having a deep and talented dline rotation. 

The fans didn't get it then, hence the assumptions that he was drafted as insurance. 

Gettleman drafted Butler. 

I’m really not sure you could get a starting player for player trade.  He has played decent, I think teams may be willing to do a low round draft pick.  But at that point I feel like you have given up more than you gained.  You could certainly shop him and see what you could get.

2 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Then we better get first round backups at ever position.

That would be nice wouldn't it?  

That blanket statement was cute.  Good job.  

This is the hand we're dealt with Butler.  In our system the 3rd DT plays a ton.  Obviously they should've considered going another position in the draft instead of going with Vern...but since we have him we may as well use him.  He sounds better then a 5th round pick to me.  If the offer was a 3rd I'd say do it.  However we shouldn't trade someone arbitrarily for lesser value just because we have a slight redundancy.  Redundancy equals reliability and at DT that's a big deal.  Keep him.

3 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

Butler was picked because Hurney puts emphasis on having a deep and talented dline rotation. 

Hurney didn’t pick Butler, Gettleman did

Gettleman instead of trying to build a winning team now was looking ahead 2 years down the road, and that’s one of the reason he got fired. It’s called counting your chickens before the hatch

If you are hell bent on trading one then trade KK.  He would bring more in a trade and you have a younger cheaper replacement already.  You accomplish two things by trading KK, you clear his cap charge and have a younger, although less experienced replacement with minimal inital drop off.

Archived