• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, mjligon said:

It’s Rivera lol. Is that a serious question?

Took Norwell an injury to get on the field.

Norman had to scratch and claw his way out of the dog house.

Who knows if Moton will ever see the field.

Etc

etc

Norwell was an UDFA who started over half the games in his rookie season. Just think for a second. 

1 minute ago, Proudiddy said:

I really think the pick wasn't even so much bc of what Butler offered, but moreso bc Gettleman thought it would give him leverage in negotiating with KK, and then if he felt KK got too greedy, he would do him like Norman and then Butler would become insurance in a best case scenario.

No, they did the exact same thing with JPP when he was in New York. They took him when they still had Tuck and Osi. 

He's just like Rivera and Richardson; living in the past. 

2 hours ago, mjligon said:

I think he’s still an important piece of our rotation. He can’t help where he was drafted.

There is a very slim chance Rivera would buy in to trading him. He loves a fresh rotation.

Yeah I agree.  We're only one injury away.  I say keep him for another year.  If he balls out...now we're getting more in return or we can adjust the rotation next season. I could imagine a goalline defensive set with all three of them....and I like that thought.

7 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

So not true.

If I’m not mistaken, KK was heading into the last year of his contract and rumors were it would cost $20M+ to resign him. Grabbing Butler was insurance in case we couldn't pay what it took to keep Short.

12 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

Why are you defending him when he can't get on the field?

I don't understand this false statement. 

He is on the field often in one of the best interior defensive line rotation in the NFL. His impact is very noticeable when he's on the field also. 

Like others have said, if KK gets hurt, there is no steep drop off.

Starter quality Backup DT making only 2.3Million? I'd rather keep that for insurance and to stay fresh.  Would much rather shed the $3 Million salary with Shepard and give that to our new backup TE.  We can get starting safety in the Draft. 

He's on a rookie deal and is a very talented backup. Nothing wrong with having the strongest DT rotation in the league. I can't imagine finding a cheaper or better option to fill that spot. The only way I consider it is if you can trade for a starter in a position of need AND free up some money to bring in a vet replacement...not gonna happen.

It sucks for the guy that he can't get on the field as much as he'd like but it certainly doesn't hurt the team at all.

Archived