• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

Meh, I hated it when we picked him, and while trading him won’t make me feel better, it certainly validates my thoughts on the matter.

every time I’ve hated our first round pick since I started to closely follow football they have turned out to be busts.

if I love the second round pick they have also turned out to be busts too tho haha(minus Kalil)

Nippleshorts drafted him in case he couldn't work out an extension for Short. Knowing Dave would cut anyone he didn't want to spend money on, it was a calculated decision at the time. When Short got PAID, Butler became a luxury item. Jury is out on his talent level, but the moves we have made since then has shown that we would have been better suited to draft a TE. Derrick Henry would have gotten the Artis-Payne treatment until J. Stew left. As Cam says, "hindsight is 50/50." I'd probably keep him for depth unless someone offers something great in return. Our luck we'd let him go, Short would get hurt, and Butler would become a stud for years to come.

How much does he count against our salary cap? I like having him in our rotation and using Short some at DE helps out our DE depth which really needs some help. On our line Peppers is a year older and Poe has had back problems in the past (I know different DT position) so we really need good depth on the defensive line.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Here I state my case....

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/2018/03/16/carolina-panthers-trade-vernon-butler/

Having him here doesn't help anyone, including Vernon. 

Such depth at 3 tech is a nice luxury, but luxuries are for complete teams. 

No, depth / injuries he has a 5th year option as well and is inexpensive. 

It would be FOOLISH to trade a 1st round investment who is good, but behind an All-Pro for a mid round pick. 

The value is not there, KK is 29 turning 30. and if memory servers Butler is 22/23, the three DT rotation is something you don't give up when it's this good AND cost effective. 

1 hour ago, mjligon said:

I think he’s still an important piece of our rotation. He can’t help where he was drafted.

There is a very slim chance Rivera would buy in to trading him. He loves a fresh rotation.

This. Come 4th quarter, everyone loves a fresh rotation. If we trade Butler, Drew Iddings (who???) suddenly becomes part of our 4 man rotation! Or we sign a scrub and pay them more than Vernon, who has less than a $2.3 million cap hit this year.

1.  He is going into his 3rd year ,  year when the DT come into their man bodies and usually see a jump in production. 

2. He is big part of our rotation .

3. He is a 1st round pick, so we have the 5th year option so in case he blows up this year, gives us some flexibility.

4. His trade value isn't that high at the moment.  Not worth to trade at this point, unless Beanne or Gettleman feel like jumping off the top rope. 

51 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I can see it now:

We trade Butler for a starting Guard/DE/Safety

We get to the NFL draft

BPA is either Da'ron Payne or Vita Vea.

Hurney pulls the trigger

Huddle collectively shits themselves. 

If Vea is available at 24, I will poo myself twice.

2 minutes ago, Udogg said:

1.  He is going into his 3rd year ,  year when the DT come into their man bodies and usually see a jump in production. 

2. He is big part of our rotation .

3. He is a 1st round pick, so we have the 5th year option so in case he blows up this year, gives us some flexibility.

4. His trade value isn't that high at the moment.  Not worth to trade at this point, unless Beanne or Gettleman feel like jumping off the top rope. 

Then you have the thought of "The Panthers were willing to trade me, for what? FU!!"

Archived