• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

46 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I honestly have no idea who might be available. Look for a team light at DT and deep at CB. Can't be too many that fit the bill.

Actually, the Cowboys come to mind. They're light at DT and they can't seem to figure out what to do with former 2nd round pick Byron Jones. They've bounced him between CB and S. We have needs at both spots.

Yeah... Vernon Butler for Byron Jones. I'd do that. Seems like it would make sense for both teams.

Yeah seems like a good deal, I will say this,if we are going to move him,this year is the year to do it. Personally i would like a player for player trade until I see if hurney and gang can draft past the 1st round. Really missed out on the Marcus Peter trade imo 

11 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I get that. I'm just looking at it from the perspective that he only has two relatively cheap seasons remaining with two guys who are clearly going to be ahead of him on the depth chart. Unless something changes, we'll never tender him that 5th year option. Meanwhile, we have a secondary that's utter trash. If we have an opportunity to move Butler for a DB or significant draft capital (3rd or better), I say do it. All the DTs in the world aren't going to help us if our secondary is as bad as it was in the latter part of last year. 

I think we might tender him, if he shows something.  Or might even sign him to a new contract, considering Poe's contract was only for 3 seasons.  I agree about the secondary being a troublespot right now, but I am not sure an additional third round pick will fix it.  

Now if we could get a solid corner or safety for him, then that might be worth a trade.  Not sure how likely that is though. 

Getting rid of a first rounder for a third or fifth round pick should be reserved for a bust. Butler has done well in the spots we have used him. If we want maximum return we need to give him more reps and develop him further not trade him now. The whole do what makes sense for today and not think long term is dangerous. Honestly we have lots of time to find a safety and corner in free agency . People are pushing the panic button too early this year.

Archived