• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers should consider trading Vernon Butler

Jeremy Igo

I would be calling the Browns about trading Butler for Njoku. They have an abundance of TEs and just traded away Danny Shelton. I'd even throw a pick in there too. With Dickson gone and Olsen contemplating retirement, we are in a bad way for the future.

The other team I would call is the Rams to work out a deal for Gerald Everett. They also have an abundance of tight ends.

The only way im trading Butler is if we 

1. Get a 3rd round or higher pick. After that, your not getting a starter.  Your trading a current backup for another guy who is going to come off the bench.

2. A Solid starter,  not some Jag like a Amini who is starting for another team.

Teams that could/would be potential trade partners based on needs at interior DL.

Browns- plenty of cap space and picks where they can get someone else.  They dont like trading those higher picks.  They dont have any decent OG's theyll trade us.  At WR, Josh Gordon is the only one I see them trading, and I dont want.  He's one popped drug test or off the fieod thing from career being over.  IF they draft Chubb in the top 5, Ogbah or Nassib could be available.  Both edge rusher drafted in the 2nd the year we drafted Butler.  But dont see them getting Chubb and cutting current guys

Giants- Butler is Gettlemans guy, but he isnt trading a 2nd or 3rd rounder on him.  Giants also have needs at safety and OG, so no trading for starter there.  Only WR, could see them trading is Brandon Marshall.  But dont see us grabbing the aging WR coming off a injury

Colts- also not trading away a picks, and also have needs at OG, WR, and safety.  So no trades for starter 

Denver- only possible trade would be for one of their WRs that we dont have cap space for

Miami- but they also have needs at OG, safety, and WR.  

Redskins- same as above minus WR, but they aren't planning on trading away their starting WRs

GB- again, same as above

Chargers- again, same

Dallas- only possible trades.  Dez, but too much money.  Or Byron Jones, but dont see them doing that

Atlanta-?

Vikings- what WR are they going trade away for Butler.  Starting OG, their Starting OG is Remmers.  Do we really want to trade a Butler fir a Remmers?

KC-?

Theres just no winning in trading Butler, unless someone is dumb enough to trade a round 2-3 for him

No way!  Vern is too young! We would not get any quality player his age or younger. Trade him for what...some bloke at x or y position 5 years older with a history of injury that will expect a huge payday at signing, or 1-2 years after we get them?

We don't need to be nice to VB. He signed a contract. The Panthers are not wrong by keeping the contract HE signed. When he becomes a FA...THEN this post makes sense. Vern need to be groomed to take over. Not cast aside/traded because we are solid at that position (assuming no injury) for what...1 year?

4 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think need shoild absolutely be factored into a team's draft board. Yeah, player A may technically be the BPA but player A plays at a position of great depth and player B is the #2 BPA and he plays at a position of great need. Take player B. 

I think that was DG's biggest failing. He was too obsessed with going by the draft board. If it's close then you should take need and if it's not close then BPA is fine. There is no way Butler was well above the positions we needed.

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Sheesh.... That 2016 draft looks worse and worse with each passing day. That entire off-season was a a complete poo show. Good riddance Dave.

THE worst collective off-season (free agency, drafting, contract, etc) of all time, and I'm not being disingenuous in any way. It's no surprise Dave got the boot, regardless of Mister's childish whims or not. Dude was terrible, I'm sorry.

The Butler pick stunned the Huddle, and it led me to wonder what in the world Gettleman was doing. I couldn't figure out his plan, and now I think Hurney has decided that whatever the plan was it was poop. Wouldn't be shocked to see Butler traded for a low round pick.

Archived