• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fuel for the "Crabtree trade" fire

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Mage said:

I agree with you that I don't want to see us start to rely on restructuring contracts.  However, it isn't always a bad thing.  It wasn't necessarily that we were restructuring and back-loading contracts the first go round; it was who we were restructuring and back-loading.  

IIRC, James Anderson was one of those guys.  I wouldn't have a problem with restructuring Cam and Luke - they are worth the future cap hit.  It's when you start doing that to guys like (for example, if we were to do it with him) Shaq Thompson it becomes a problem.

Sometimes it has to be who's available. You restructure one star contract multiple times and before long you've made them impossible to keep.

But as to restructuring in general, I'm with LG. It's a lot like a credit card. You do it for a little money here, a little more there, and before too long you're in trouble and trying to pay credit cards with other credit cards.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

I can't agree with this. Smith only helps our offense. 

Only because that bar is set SO LOW. He'll hurt more than he'll help if we force him into an every down WR role.

Just now, TheCasillas said:

I strongly expect a crotchery type season from smith. That's it. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Cotch and Smith are completely different types of players.  If he has a Ginn-like season, he'll help... but keep in mind that Ginn wasn't playing every down.  His stats won't be awful, but our offense will not be very good.

4 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

so you agree he helps our offense? 

If we can get a receiver like Crabtree to push Smith into a niche deep threat role, yes.  If we play him like an every down #2, he's not going to help very much.

9 minutes ago, Riv said:

Cotch and Smith are completely different types of players.  If he has a Ginn-like season, he'll help... but keep in mind that Ginn wasn't playing every down.  His stats won't be awful, but our offense will not be very good.

I thought Ginn played majority of the snaps for us?

All Rivera says is that Smith will be our savvy veteran that can stretch the defense. He compares smith to cotchery constantly. Except, he can go deep.

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ginn was 2nd among WRs in snap count for us in both 2015 and 2016.

Yes, but we also had a healthy, younger Greg and Cotch to play 3rd downs.  I can guarantee Ginn wasn't in on 3rd and short like we'll need from Smith without a real starting WR or possession receiver added to this group.

Archived