• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fuel for the "Crabtree trade" fire

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Short is one of those guys who you don't touch if only due to age. He'll turn 30 this season. And we'd be pushing guaranteed money down the road until he was 33 years old. That feels dangerous to me.

I agree.  I would only do it for guys who you are confident will still be effective years down the line, assuming it's a long-term contract.

Other than Cam and Kuechly, the only other guy on the team I'd probably want to restructure (if we had to) is Trai Turner.  2017 was a down year for him, but we know what he is capable of and he's only 24 years old.  Plus he's a guard, they are good for a long time.

8 minutes ago, Riv said:

How about we cut Smith and Shep, then Crabtree is cost neutral.

I feel like if we trade Munnerlyn (may prove to be difficult) and cut Shep we would be good here...

I wouldn't cut Smith its obvious he is here to be a deep threat and mentor Samuel.

8 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It would cost us an additional $2.5M this season to part ways with Captain.

We'd only have to pay his signing bonus that got extended over his first two years, I thought. That would save us 2.5m, but I'll be honest I could be reading overthecap incorrectly.

POST-6/1 TRADE 2018
Dead Cap: $1,500,0002019
Dead Cap: $3,000,0002018
Cap Savings: $2,437,500

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I feel like if we trade Munnerlyn (may prove to be difficult) and cut Shep we would be good here...

I wouldn't cut Smith its obvious he is here to be a deep threat and mentor Samuel.

Why are we paying Smith to mentor Samuel when we have Cotchery on the staff?  Crabtree is what we need, not Smith.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

We'd only have to pay his signing bonus that got extended over his first two years, I thought. That would save us 2.5m, but I'll be honest I could be reading overthecap incorrectly.

He has a $3.9M cap hit this season. There's still $6.4M in signing bonus left in his contract. We'd take that $6.4M hit on our cap space this season unless we wanted to designate him as a post-June 1st cut. 6.4 - 3.9 = 2.5. If he was designated as a post June 1st cut, then he'd hit us at $3.2M this year and next year.

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

Smith doesn't stop Crabtree from happening...... I am referring to acquiring both Honey Badger and Crabtree

He doesn't, but to afford both cutting Smith would make a lot of sense with our cap issues and no real need for Smith.

Archived