• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney was smart to trade for Torrey Smith

Jeremy Igo

The only way this signing was smart is if you put it in context next to other moves we've made.  If you compare it what would've been smart for any NFL team aside of the Panthers, well...

ya, it was really stupid and pointless.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

Patience man. With Star getting $10M we have a 3rd and a 4th comp pick lined up. Let’s see if we can get Dickson and DA signed and that’ll give us some play money. Hopefully Hurney’s got a trade lined up or someone else gets released we could use. I don’t want to eff up those picks for a mediocre FA or an overpriced one. Our cap could look gigantic next year if Moton takes over for speed bump, like $50M big even if we sign Olsen, Funchess and Williams to $10M a piece. 

You have become the Sanjay of comp picks.  Ok, you want the comp picks.  Got ya.

4 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looking at the money receivers are getting, I find it unlikely Smith would have been gotten for 5 mill a year with no guaranteed money. Seems like a bargain given that Worley may not have even made the team this year. 

This offense will work with slightly better than average receivers which is what I believe we have as long as we can run the ball. I honestly don’t think Cam would be any better with guys like Watkins or ARob if the offense isn’t able to run. Getting a legitimate complement to CMC is incredibly important...if Hurney doesn’t do that and is banking on CAP then the offense will be a disaster just like last year.

3 hours ago, yasuhara2241 said:

Don't get me wrong I wanted Watkins and felt he could excel with Cam, but with that price tag I think we needed to go with a proven commodity which weren't available. I think I could have been comfortable with around $10m for Watkins but going over that is definitely a risk because we don't know what was really under the hood with Watkins. 

that's very fair to say. I agree at 16 a year he was out of our price range unfortunately. 

3 hours ago, Palmetto said:

If this doesn't work out watch all the complaints about bargain bins and not getting Cam weapons next off season

^^^^^^ this

I can already see it next year "Yet another year we wasted failing to get Cam weapons"

we really have a pitiful amount of cap left (like 12-14 mil after draft picks) . Hurney might sign some vet saftey and call it a FA , and try to work some magic in the draft. Anyone getting into a hissyfit that were not signing 4+ top tier FA, WE DONT HAVE THE $$$$$$

Good news is next offseason we can unload both Kalils and Olsen will be quite old  (34 next offseason) so we can cut both them and either re-deal or cut Greg will free up a poo ton of cap.  

The real issue next offseason will be if we want to give Funchess a big deal. He needs to ball out this season ..

EDIT : wed actually lose 2 mil in cap if we cut M.Kalil, but It would be well worth it to get rid of that discusting contract. Ryan, Greg, M.Kalil are all about 10 mil each , so we could save at least 18 million by not bringing them back in 2019. Just something to chew on..

6 hours ago, JakeDel5674 said:

And to make it worse. Worley went from being trash to "having potential." Oh the Huddle. Never seems to amaze me. 

Well to be fair. Initially, he did "have potential" then he went to "trash". He's still young so it's only fair to say he may still have potential. 

Well its looking more and more like we're going to repeat the process and start over. We trade someone with no replacement for a "speedster" receiver that at the time seemed like a door was opening for better things. Now we're just in a hole and will probably draft a start a 4th round corner again. Here's to 6-10 again.

Archived