• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney was smart to trade for Torrey Smith

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looking at the money receivers are getting, I find it unlikely Smith would have been gotten for 5 mill a year with no guaranteed money. Seems like a bargain given that Worley may not have even made the team this year. 

Albert Wilson, formerly of Kansas City, is getting $24 million for three years from Miami. Again, I think the key thing I like about the trade is that Hurney/Ron/Norv found a guy they felt would fit here and traded for him to get a reasonable fixed cost contract.

I know everyone says Philly was going to cut him, but there were no guarantees that we would've gotten him had he hit the market.

28 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

I don't know if he was the best receiver in the league in the second half (maybe statistically, I have no idea honestly) but he had some good games. Could also throw in that Funchess played a lot of that time with a shoulder he could barely move at times and a bum ankle. 

Here is another thing to consider. I believe Funchess is in a contract year correct? What happens if you throw $12M+ a year to a FA receiver who comes here and a healthy Funchess becomes the guy that the Panthers hope he is and outproduces that $12M receiver that was just signed?  Have fun negotiating that new contract with Funchess' agent because you just set the asking price higher than it should have been . 

I never said he was THE best, he was ONE of the best far as production.

45 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Thank you for contributing to the conversation and raising a valid counterpoint. I think we disagree on Watkins, in that paired with the correct QB (see Cam), the guy could be devastating. Think less historic version of Randy Moss in New England. 

We will see. If Mahomes is all that he is cracked up to be, Watkins could have a huge year. 

Don't get me wrong I wanted Watkins and felt he could excel with Cam, but with that price tag I think we needed to go with a proven commodity which weren't available. I think I could have been comfortable with around $10m for Watkins but going over that is definitely a risk because we don't know what was really under the hood with Watkins. 

Archived