• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney was smart to trade for Torrey Smith

Jeremy Igo

Im okay with the Smith signing as long as we are not content with that being the only FA WR we sign. We need to go after Moncrief or Richardson. Get one of those guys to go along with Smith and I will be happy. If Smith is the only FA WR we get then we will be back in the same boat next season saying we need to get Cam some real help at WR. We dont need to rely on the draft for WR help. Most guys take a couple seasons to start producing after being drafted.

Funchess was one of the best receivers in the league second half of the season. It wasn't worth giving those guys that kind of money to come here and be that caliber of receiver when he was better last season. Sure if the money was lower. 

Cuz Smith was/is highly coveted? There are a few other names out there in the business that said he'd get less than 5 mil. Either way the contract isn't bad and I won't cry over a mil here or there but to act like some Torrey Smith was in any way going to command more than 5 mil is reaching at best and there is 0 evidence anyone wanted him other than us.

2 minutes ago, hepcat said:

He’s better than playing Brenton Bersin or Kaelin Clay during critical moments of a playoff game so color me happy with the trade.

Damn I dunno Bersin isn't likely to drop it actually he just usually won't be open.

With Smith we're back to Ginn where he'll be open but he'll just as likely drop it as to catch it. ANd the more wider open he is the more likely he is to drop it. The purpose of a deep threat is actually supposed to be more than just make the defense back up....you actually want to hit those rare shots and score don't simply scare the bejesus out of the defense and piss the fans off.

3 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Funchess was one of the best receivers in the league second half of the season. It wasn't worth giving those guys that kind of money to come here and be that caliber of receiver when he was better last season. Sure if the money was lower. 

I don't know if he was the best receiver in the league in the second half (maybe statistically, I have no idea honestly) but he had some good games. Could also throw in that Funchess played a lot of that time with a shoulder he could barely move at times and a bum ankle. 

Here is another thing to consider. I believe Funchess is in a contract year correct? What happens if you throw $12M+ a year to a FA receiver who comes here and a healthy Funchess becomes the guy that the Panthers hope he is and outproduces that $12M receiver that was just signed?  Have fun negotiating that new contract with Funchess' agent because you just set the asking price higher than it should have been . 

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Looking at the money receivers are getting, I find it unlikely Smith would have been gotten for 5 mill a year with no guaranteed money. Seems like a bargain given that Worley may not have even made the team this year. 

EXACTLY---The guaranteed $ is key--I think we could add a year to the contract and guarantee $8m or so and drop the salary to $4m....And there is the fact that this trade will not threaten comp picks in 19.

3 minutes ago, Cam El said:

Don't do it!

chicken-counting.jpg

It's also not if but when....who is the first poster complaining after praising when T Smith drops his first of several wide open TDs?

SOmething something Cam something some never has something something weapons....just make the post and pin it up now.

Archived