• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers upgraded Russel Shepard for 2.7 million

Jeremy Igo

i don't understand why people are saying he's washed up? 

he had 11 TD's with Baltimore in 2014 before signing with SF for two years, who had absolutely horrible quarterback play in Gabbert and Kaepernick, so naturally his numbers would take a hit. 

given he's a speedster, he only averages about 40-50 catches a season, so he's avoided those big hits over the middle throughout his career. that alone has kept him relatively fresh, and he's avoided any major injuries along the way. 

i think his career will be absolutely resurrected with Cam at the helm. 

1 minute ago, stbugs said:

Again, sorry to correct, that was 2015, three seasons ago. He had another year in SF and then Philly last year. He’s done very little the past two seasons.

I wouldn’t have minded grabbing him after release. He was going to be released and I’m sorry he wasn’t going to get a bigger deal than $5M. 350 yards per year the last two years and being 29 isn’t getting $5M per year. Kurt Coleman was a pro-bowler in 2015 and is the same age. It would have been more like that.

I don’t like the deal more because we have no depth at CB (Seymour isn’t remotely good) like WR last year and now we aren’t going to take a chance on a better WR that we need. I like Funchess, Byrd and Samuel but that’s not a great or deep enough group in 2018. I don’t want Worley starting but damn we have Adams and Bradberry and that’s it. I feel like WR is a tiny bit better but it’s still a problem and now secondary is a huge problem. 

2018 season hasnt started so it was two seasons ago at this point. FA isnt over so we dont know what we have in the secondary yet and you know there is a draft coming up as well.

Problem with us signing FA's this season is they will cancel the high compensatory picks we will receive for losing Star and Norwell, so I disagree with you there as well. 

1 minute ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

i don't understand why people are saying he's washed up? 

he had 11 TD's with Baltimore in 2014 before signing with SF for two years, who had absolutely horrible quarterback play in Gabbert and Kaepernick, so naturally his numbers would take a hit. 

given he's a speedster, he only averages about 40-50 catches a season, so he's avoided those big hits over the middle throughout his career. that alone has kept him relatively fresh, and he's avoided any major injuries along the way. 

i think his career will be absolutely resurrected with Cam at the helm. 

Because people quickly google stats rather than have watched people play. Its the easy way out.

yall trying to justify a guy who's going to cost us 5 million with drop issues and worse route running than Ginn who was going to be a free agent anyways commanding 4 million a year at best while making our corner depth even worse.

4 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

yall trying to justify a guy who's going to cost us 5 million with drop issues and worse route running than Ginn who was going to be a free agent anyways commanding 4 million a year at best while making our corner depth even worse.

4 million at best? did you see what evans got? 

prices are completely inflated right now, and teams like the browns and niners who have $100 million in cap space will easily overpay driving the market up even further. 

besides, he's not costing us $5M. we can easily restructure his deal as I'm assuming all of his guaranteed money was paid by Philly last year. 

if he's not willing to restructure, $5M is still a steal for someone who's only 29 and has a history of producing in the NFL. 

5 minutes ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

we can easily restructure his deal

lol

Marty: “Restructure this deal to make less money or we’ll cut you.”

Torrey: “So you’re giving me the choice between making less money or cutting me so I can be a FA and sign a deal making less with a team of my own choosing?... You’re not very good at this, are you Marty?”

1 minute ago, tiger7_88 said:

lol

Marty: “Restructure this deal to make less money or we’ll cut you.”

Torrey: “So you’re giving me the choice between making less money or cutting me so I can be a FA and sign a deal making less with a team of my own choosing?... You’re not very good at this, are you Marty?”

restructure his deal to make his cap hit less this year.

Just now, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

restructure his deal to make his cap hit less this year.

The only way to do that would be an extension.

The only way Smith would agree to an extension is to add guaranteed money.

That path leads to madness.

And, now that I think of it, probably to Marty Hurney’s house.

22 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Our corner depth improved.

Archived