• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers upgraded Russel Shepard for 2.7 million

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Seltzer said:

Good research, and a move I hope we make.  Samuel & Byrd have way more upside to Shepard.

Shepard to me was like DJ Hackett in 2008, who I had high hopes for.  He started out the season decent, but barely saw the field towards the end.  When Shepard got passed over for snaps by Byrd, Bersin, & Clay, you know things didn't work out how Gman envisioned last year.

He did not get many opportunities mosts of the year although he was wide open on many routes. He would usually run underneath crossing patterns and defenders pretty much ignored him but he was not thrown to. And then he had a few opportunities and he had some bad drops. It seemed like he was running more deep routes in training camp and when the season started, he was relegated to check down option. I think he could be decent but it wont be here.

2 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

He did average 20.1 just two seasons ago in SF. I dont think anyone here believes he is the savior at WR you are suggesting they do.

I don't hate Tory Smith, I hate that we gave something up for him unnecessarily 

3 minutes ago, SOJA said:

He was drafted to play zone so can't fault him there 

That's true, but as schemes change, some players become expendable.  Worley was drafted under McDermott to play primarily zone, but Wilks wanted something different and he honestly was bad in the scheme last year.

I think the Panthers recognized early on the new scheme that was blitz and man coverage heavy was going to be a struggle for some guys, and so they traded for Seymour, who Rex Ryan loved as a rookie but obviously wasn't what McDermott wanted.

Anyway, I don't have any hard feelings toward Worley, but he obviously wasn't in the team's plays going forward.

The money to me is irrelevant b/c we can restructure Smith's deal.  We basically traded a starter last year we were going to cut for the same from Philly

4 minutes ago, mjligon said:

Same was said about Ted Ginn.

Pipe down chump we upgraded Russell Shepard for next to nothing, and moved on from a serious liability in our secondary.

Go whine somewhere else.

Calling me chump on a message board 

imagine being that tough 

We got a vet receiver and now with Worley out we should see an upgrade at corner. Win win imo.

People are mad about this but are okay with he idea of dishing out 7+ million for guys like Mike Wallace and Albert Wilson like wtf? 

Just now, Peppers90 NC said:

He did not get many opportunities mosts of the year although he was wide open on many routes. He would usually run underneath crossing patterns and defenders pretty much ignored him but he was not thrown to. And then he had a few opportunities and he had some bad drops. It seemed like he was running more deep routes in training camp and when the season started, he was relegated to check down option. I think he could be decent but it wont be here.

I was excited by Shepard in TC, and who knows, as with anything, he could be much better suited for Turner's offense that Shula's.  Whatever the reason, he wasn't used well/ didn't produce last year.

2 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Had we signed him on the open market, potentially the cost could be higher and/or we could have not received a comp pick for when we lose Start and Norwell. Thats unnecessary as well, depending on how much you value Worley.

6 minutes ago, SOJA said:

Yes, because if he made it to free agency he would have been signed for free? Also, Worley wasn't very good, and he most likely was going to be cut anyway.

12 minutes ago, Louie said:

Yes, because if he made it to free agency he would have been signed for free? Also, Worley wasn't very good, and he most likely was going to be cut anyway.

? He has a contract for next year my man

Archived