• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and rewarding players for past performance.

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, imminent rogaine said:

I don't think the issue is the player or the contract - Especially considering there shouldn't really be an impending skill drop-off in the near future for Gano. The problem is the specific wording that Hurney used. His word choice hints that his mindset might not be too far from the exact same mind set that did some real damage to this very same franchise not too long ago. 

That's what I was thinking. He may be basing the contract on what he feels may be deserved, but his wording is just piss poor pathetic, especially with the cap hell that crippled this team that he was responsible for. 

Gano does not inspire confidence when the game is on the line and his number is called.  

He just muffed a field goal that should have been automatic during our last playoff game.

Gano pushed a 25-yard field goal wide right on the team’s second drive of the game. An extra three points would have put the Panthers in position to win with a field goal 

Every time Gano takes the field it reminds me of what Redskins fans used to say when they saw him getting ready to kick "Oh No, Gano!".

Still an apt saying many years later.

This would only be an issue if Hurney was referring to some distant past performance.  Its not like he'd been good for a few years but is now in decline.  What he's done as a Panther is why he's earned his contract.  Not seeing much more behind the comment than that.

5 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Gano does not inspire confidence when the game is on the line and his number is called.  

He just muffed a field goal that should have been automatic during our last playoff game.

Every time Gano takes the field it reminds me of what Redskins fans used to say when they saw him getting ready to kick "Oh No, Gano!".

Still an apt saying many years later.

Rivera show the lack of confidence with no 50 yrd fgs... 

6 hours ago, Salisburysean98 said:

You guys all act like we were just going to bring in a more consistent kicker. Like there's a john Kasay sitting on the market, even he had his wtf moment during SB38.

They drafted one last year who would’ve given you the same if not better production at a much lower cost per season 

butker was nailing kicks all year long. He’s damn good and we let him walk to overpay a guy who shrinks in big moments 

FWIW. I saw Gano in Cabelas last year and he blew off a couple young guys who wanted to take a selfie with him. No one else really recognized him. So that tells me all I need to know about the guy.

15 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney said today Gano's contract was in part reward for what he has done in the years he has been here.

It pretty much goes without saying.  If GG hadn't been a pro bowler this year he wouldn't have gotten a contract like he did.  Hurney just stating the obvious.  Its the way life works.

Don't let facts stop the Hurney hate though.

15 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney said today Gano's contract was in part reward for what he has done in the years he has been here.

This is kind of like a recovering alcoholic coming home after a hard day and pouring himself a vodka tonic to take the edge off. The single act is harmless enough, I'm just woried about what is to come, given his past.

Archived