• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and rewarding players for past performance.

Jeremy Igo

41 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Thing too is if Hurney hadn't said anything, nobody would have known.

I'd say it's not so much the contract itself that's bothering people (outside of the valid criticism that Butker would have been the better choice).  In my mind, what makes people flinch is knowing that he still espouses this "reward past performance using current cap" philosophy and doesn't see any problem with it.

Exactly. The contract I can live with, you need a kicker, he’s “consistent” blah blah, but Hurney seemingly confirms he hasn’t learned a damn thing since the last time he was fired with a single quote.

You pay players based on the production you expect to receive over the life of the contract.

Previous years help you to determine that but you also have to decide if those years are outliers or if the player is set to decline for any reason such as age.

Did we pay Gano because he hit 97% of his field goals last year?

Did we pay Gano because he has hit 82% for his career?

Or did we pay Gano what we did because of what we expect him to make in the future?  Do we expect him to continue to make 97% of kicks or will he regress back to his career average? or someone in between? 

So, what would you be basing your contract offer on? Reading the tea leaves for potential?  All continuation contracts are based on past performance, it's all you've got to judge on. 

Unless you want to pull a Gettleman and pay Matt Kalil the bank based on "unrealized potential."

2 hours ago, bull123 said:

Had to sign him...should have kept the rookie, but rookie kickers are so unpredictable....paid around a million more per yr than any other good kicker would have cost

no need for huddle meltdown...just move on

Butker was different. He has “it”

top kickers have avg around 4 or so mil a year for the past few seasons.  Gano earned his contract.  One can only hope he can continue to perform at a high level, but there is no reason to assume he won't.  I have no problem with the deal or the reasoning behind it.

It's a valid debate whether Gano's past performance is worth rewarding.

However, aren't all contracts based on past performance? Flacco wins Super Bowl,  player makes Pro Bowl, or All Pro, etc. Of course their agent is using these past accomplishments at the bargaining table.

I don't think the issue is the player or the contract - Especially considering there shouldn't really be an impending skill drop-off in the near future for Gano. The problem is the specific wording that Hurney used. His word choice hints that his mindset might not be too far from the exact same mind set that did some real damage to this very same franchise not too long ago. 

Gano was already making 3.1 million a year from his last contract. So after a probowl season he is going to make 1.1 million more. All of these threads and Hurney bashing over a lousy million a year to sign a kicker who was money last year. Given his best year was last year, he wasn't paid for past performance but current production and the expectation of continued success.  If he has a similar year in 2018 that he did in 2017 this will be a bargain deal.

30 minutes ago, imminent rogaine said:

I don't think the issue is the player or the contract - Especially considering there shouldn't really be an impending skill drop-off in the near future for Gano. The problem is the specific wording that Hurney used. His word choice hints that his mindset might not be too far from the exact same mind set that did some real damage to this very same franchise not too long ago. 

Is there a source with his actual words? I've been looking a little but cannot find it yet.

6 hours ago, TN05 said:

You don't pay them for what they've done, that's stupid.

Instead you either sign washed-up free agents or hand a massive contract to a horrible left tackle who was really bad on another team.

Bingo! Don't forget sign Russell Shepard 

Archived