• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and rewarding players for past performance.

Jeremy Igo

in the NFL you pay what you can get based on leverage and what the free agent market will bear. reward's got nothing to do with it. or god help me, it better not. 

that said, Gano's contract number is pretty much what it was going to be. not out of whack. it's just that if you take a step back and look broadly at how the Panthers ended up at this point, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence in Hurney's ability to position himself to transition players from contract to contract.

32 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You don't pay guys this year and next year for what they did last year.  That's what their previous years' paydays were for.  Prior year's performances are only relevant toward predicting what they'll do in the future.

The average GM probably has a crystal ball, a ouija board, a set of tarot cards and a psychic friend on speed dial because their job is basically to try and predict the future.

You pay them based off what they did previous years absolutely. It’s called earning a contract. The past is the greatest predictor of the future. 

You pay guys for a little of what they’ve done and then pay a little based on the assumption they’re tending upward or will be consistent in some form. Value is a factor as well.

When comparing Gano to the rest of the league in terms of salary and consistency as well as value (Butker), its’s a bad deal.

I really really wish NFL contracts were heavily incentive based. I understand injuries and what not but these are monstrous contracts.

27 minutes ago, uncfan888 said:

I've wanted Gano gone for years. He isn't clutch and no one can ever convince me otherwise 

Yet he has signed back to back extensions that pay him at or near the top amongst his peers at his position with two different general managers here.

He was the same inconsistent kicker when he signed the first extension, hardly anybody made a peep when that was signed.

14 minutes ago, bull123 said:

Had to sign him...should have kept the rookie, but rookie kickers are so unpredictable....paid around a million more per yr than any other good kicker would have cost

no need for huddle meltdown...just move on

Thank you. But everyone will not let it go. Just like they think we going after Watkins or Robinson and it ain't happening. They cry about paying a kicker $4.25 mil that is healthy. But want to go spend over $10 mil on two guys that are either hurt alot or just blew out a knee. Yeah that sounds great guys!!!

Just now, Eazy-E said:

What else do you pay a guy for? I’m confused as to why people are complaining.

If he resigned Norwell and said the same thing would you all still react like a bunch of whiny little bitches?

Finally I'm not the only one. They whine no matter what. The huddle has gotten ridiculous.

Kickers aren't running backs or any other position.  They have a relatively long shelf life if they're any good. 

I don't care how any of you want to spin it,  Gano has been above average first of all. Sure,  he had a down year when he was injured,  but he wasn't horrible.  As he was showing signs of possibly cracking while injured,  good competition was brought in to battle for the job,  and Gano outright won the job. Then,  to top it all off,  he was arguably the best kicker in the league last season. 

So...he logically gets paid to continue being one of the best kickers in the league for the past five years, even with the down year. 

Archived