• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and rewarding players for past performance.

Jeremy Igo

11 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Hurney said today Gano's contract was in part reward for what he has done in the years he has been here.

What are your general thoughts on giving players money for how well they played here over the past several years? Didn't this mind set get the Panthers in cap hell pretty quickly?

That's EXACTLY what got us in cap hell.

This is the reason most of us didn't want him back as the GM, his mindset has not changed 1 bit, and it's sad that he fooled people into thinking it had

I think that's how the NFL works is u get paid for what u did lately not for the future. If you don't know that u really don't know football. I really don't understand the huddle here lately I think all these morons on here have ruin some people.

6 minutes ago, panther4life said:

He set himself up to get flamed by the huddle with that quote. 

In reality the Gano extension pales in comparison to the bad extensions he signed in the past. 

So far he's quietly done an acceptable job so far. He's made the necessary cut's, has not thrown stupid money at Norwell or Star that we know of and did not tag either of them.

Totally agree. I'm not sure what people expect sometimes. Can't do right for doing wrong in the eyes of some 

It's a gamble either way you look at it, but if you guys didn't want Gano to be here long term then why were none of you clamoring for a veteran to be brought in to actually compete with him last year? It was a tall order to expect a rookie kicker, no matter what he did in college, to walk right in and take the starting position from Gano. Especially knowing Gano is a favorite of Rivera's.

Did DG plan to cut Gano in favor of Butker? There's no indication I've seen that one could use to argue definitively either way. But I can definitely tell you that Ron would have strongly lobbied for Gano, and considering he sets the depth chart, well there ya go.

Just now, TheRed said:

Its a gamble either way you look at it, but if you guys didn't want Gano to be here long term then why were none of you clamoring for a veteran to be brought in to actually compete with him last year? It was a tall order to expect a rookie kicker, no matter what he did in college, to walk right in and take the starting position from Gano. Especially knowing Gano is a favorite of Rivera's.

Did DG plan to cut Gano in favor of Butker? There's no indication I've seen that one could use to argue definitively either wat. But I can definitely tell you that Ron would have strongly lobbied for Gano, and considering he sets the depth chart, well there ya go.

I've wanted Gano gone for years. He isn't clutch and no one can ever convince me otherwise 

8 minutes ago, steven8989 said:

I think that's how the NFL works is u get paid for what u did lately not for the future. If you don't know that u really don't know football. I really don't understand the huddle here lately I think all these morons on here have ruin some people.

When you sign a guy from another team, what he "did lately" was done for someone else.  You're not paying him for that.  You're paying him for what you believe he's going to do for you.

Re-signing your own is another story.

When the Panthers gave Jake Delhomme a huge contract extension post 2008, he had already had his playoff meltdown and was clearly done.  Knowing that, it was absolutely idiotic to put money that counted against the current and future cap in play to reward him for past performance.  Tha's the kind of dumb s--t that put us where we were against the cap.

You pay the guys who are going to contribute to your success, not the guys that used to.

Archived