• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember kids....

Jeremy Igo

Sorry to point out that you were foiled by yourself. Use your brain.

You missed a perfectly valid criticism and explanation. It's the elephant in the room. Hurney didn't lose many big free agents because he is notorious for having paid them handsomely . It's sort of been a big topic for a long time among Panther fans.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I wish it were that simple.

I don't care if you're aggressive in free agency or conservative. I don't care if you love to trade up or prefer to trade down. I don't care if you want a team loaded with veterans or if you prefer a youth movement. Every one of those strategies can be positive or negative.

Whatever methodology you prefer, success all depends on choosing the right people.

Do that more do that more often than not, we succeed. Fail at it, we're screwed.

People's issues with Marty have a lot less to do with how he made his choices than they do with the fact that whichever ones he made were generally wrong.

this is the part of the thread where luminaries come in and call your arguments invalid bc it’s too complicated and can’t be broken down into something simple that follows a limited set of rules bc that’s too much for their brains to handle

5 hours ago, JJman Returns said:

So 90% of the Huddle hated Hurney because he resigned players. But then they get mad because ....

He didn't resign a player.

Huddle logic 101...

This is what gets me, he’s doing exactly what many of us wished he did first time around and people are hating on him for it.

we have replacement pieces on the roster for these players now(thanks to Gettleman). And he should let them walk if they want way too much. We have bigger needs and while I’ll miss KK and star together in he middle, it was a very nice luxury while we had it and we are no doubt keeping the better of the two players.

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

Sorry to point out that you were foiled by yourself. Use your brain.

You missed a perfectly valid criticism and explanation. It's the elephant in the room. Hurney didn't lose many big free agents because he is notorious for having paid them handsomely . It's sort of been a big topic for a long time among Panther fans.

you’d have to have some unprecedented form of low functioning autism to miss this point.

he didn’t lose many bc he didn’t have enough good players to lose. and there was plenty cash to go around since they weren’t bringing many free agents to the table, so it was easy to appease them if you don’t give a poo about the team’s accounting in the future. unless you wanna tell me that 2010 team was budding with talent and that it was hard to let go of derek landri and richard marshall.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

That'd be all of them.

I realize this may be a difficult concept for you to understand as a Hurneys supporter but pro football teams are actually built of several players, not just one or two.

Cam, Luke, Olsen, Stewart, Norman, Davis, Kalil, CJ propelled us to a 15-1 record.

Gettleman had a relatively easy job to do. Filled the rest of the roster with adequate at best castoffs. 

Gettleman isn’t good enough to find  exceptional talents. He’s had his opportunities, but all he did was find a decent number of solid, undistinguished players (don’t use draft position as an argument because Cam and Luke were the only high picks named above and high picks doesn’t guarantee a team will select an all-pro).

I do applaud Gettleman for solving our DT woes. Probably the best thing he did in Carolina.

I’m not expecting us to keep either Star or Norwell. I’d like to see us use a little more gamesmanship in dealing with Norwell to either drive up his price to hurt an opponent or obtain some compensation for him leaving, but I admit that I don’t understand all the rules or strategy in the NFL FA to make a fully informed idea of how or what to do on that.

I want a play maker, but I’m worried about the options available all being fairly damaged goods. I’m also not confident in Hurney’s evaluation skills on this topic, so while I’m excited to see what we get in FA, I’m very nervous about it panning out.

4 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

this is the part of the thread where luminaries come in and call your arguments invalid bc it’s too complicated and can’t be broken down into something simple that follows a limited set of rules bc that’s too much for their brains to handle

This is why I always roll my eyes when I see people say "well, maybe he's learned from his mistakes".

Methodology was never the problem. He could have done everything exactly as he did before and been successful had he just, more often than not, picked the right players.

Lord knows I'm not a big fan of trading away future first round picks, but I can even accept doing that as a valid strategy. Just don't do it for Everette Brown or Jimmy freaking Clausen.

That isn't making mistakes in method. The real  problem is not having the skills (talent evaluation and roster building) to do the job you're supposed to do.

Oy...

6 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Cam, Luke, Olsen, Stewart, Norman, Davis, Kalil, CJ propelled us to a 15-1 record.

Gettleman had a relatively easy job to do. Filled the rest of the roster with adequate at best castoffs. 

Gettleman isn’t good enough to find  exceptional talents. He’s had his opportunities, but all he did was find a decent number of solid, undistinguished players (don’t use draft position as an argument because Cam and Luke were the only high picks named above and high picks doesn’t guarantee a team will select an all-pro).

I do applaud Gettleman for solving our DT woes. Probably the best thing he did in Carolina.

Then why didn't Hurney get us the same result with all those same players?

If all it took was having those guys on roster and it was so easy to fill in the talent around them, why were we not successful until Gettleman took over?

A team is made up of 53 players, not two, six, or ten. And it's the quality of the entire team as a whole that determines whether you win or lose. Your not understanding this is why you fail at these arguments.

I realize this may be hard for you to accept, but Hurney drafting your favorite player doesn't make him a good GM.

6 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

This is why I always roll my eyes when I see people say "well, maybe he's learned from his mistakes".

Methodology was never the problem. He could have done everything exactly as he did before and been successful had he just, more often than not, picked the right players.

Lord knows I'm not a big fan of trading away future first round picks, but I can even accept doing that as a valid strategy. Just don't do it for Everette Brown or Jimmy freaking Clausen.

That isn't making mistakes in method. The real  problem is not having the skills (talent evaluation and roster building) to do the job you're supposed to do.

Oy...

the level of dialogue has regressed since july. not that it was that great to begin with, but there’s something about marty hurney being the guy on this team that mesmerizes ppl into making stupid arguments to flex this evaluation prowess they see in him that plainly never panned out for obvious reasons in the past.

I've been saying this when price tags started getting discussed, it just wasn't feasible.  Originally, I thought we could retain one or the other, but the price tag is gonna be just too much when we have needs at DB and WR.  I understand the talk that our guards are very important because of scheme, but remember, that was Shula's scheme and even if that was the case, it's hard for me to believe we need to pay 2 guards top guard money  when our RB's are getting out-rushed by our QB.  Lastly on the Norwell front, there was a reason he went undrafted, he is a phenomenal player, but his highest upside potential is still lower than Turner.

All of that said, D-Lo and Stew contracts come to mind when I think about paying top 5 position money for 2 guys at the same position.  If we want to get better we need to improve DB, and Receiver and draft a DE to groom and get bigger with Daeshon Hall (who I'm still a big fan of, he basically redshirted because he was more a 3-4 OLB and needed to bulk up).  Basically, so far it seems that Hurney has learned from his past mistakes and I'm ok with that.

5 hours ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

You pay LG a LT money when he is an All Pro and when you can get rid of unwarranted LT/C contract after this season.

Panthers scheme OGs > LTs 

oh god. admit it. YOU WERE WRONG

it’s not a great idea to have two OGs signed to big money, but you do have to put two OGs on the field. it’s not nearly as bad as hurney paying top 5 money to two guys splitting one position, which was undoubtedly the stupidest thing he ever did.

Huddle logic

Don't over pay to resign players

However overpay to keep two players with viable replacements in place and somehow fix all our issues with 8 starters in the upcoming draft all while signing a receiver or two.

4 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

the level of dialogue has regressed since july. not that it was that great to begin with, but there’s something about marty hurney being the guy on this team that mesmerizes ppl into making stupid arguments to flex this evaluation prowess they see in him that plainly never panned out for obvious reasons in the past.

It's one thing to make correctable mistakes. It's another to just be bad at your job.

Hurney has shown that he's bad at his job.

Lord knows I hope for better luck this time around, but my expectations are low.

Archived