• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember kids....

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

That's quite a lame excuse guys. Certainly you can come up with a better explanation than that. I hope. How is it all those perennial winners keep draftng good players if the only way to do it is with high picks? 

This should be good. 

Because they're better drafters than Marty Hurney.

That really isn't such a difficult question to answer.

5 hours ago, bythenbrs said:

Maybe Hurney learned something about cap management watching Gettlemagic?  Alternatively, maybe he realizes his active role in putting the team in cap hell during his first stay here?   Maybe he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night?  I just give him credit if he is holding his baser instincts to overpay or over reach in check.

Or maybe he realizes that JR is out of the picture and he has very little wiggle room with new ownership on the horizon.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Yep. I use Savage as an example because he drafted arguably the best left tackle for decades in Joe Thomas.

lol

i wasn’t thinking about it at the time but the millen comparison makes so much more sense now. i mean between him and hurney, they both drafted a generational talent 2 overall, a stalwart lineman who stabilized the LT position for over 10 years, and a linebacker with the 9th overall pick.

and you could say well hurney’s teams ended up having a better record during his tenure, but you can’t say that and conveniently ignore that the record under gettleman was much better in turn while you’re trying to downplay his role in our success bc you’re in denial about his superiority in this role and want to act like he’s on equal ground with marty at best to warm the cockles of your heart about this offseason being run by a washout retread.

4 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

lol

i wasn’t thinking about it at the time but the millen comparison makes so much more sense now. i mean between him and hurney, they both drafted a generational talent 2 overall, a stalwart lineman who stabilized the LT position for over 10 years, and a linebacker with the 9th overall pick.

and you could say well hurney’s teams ended up having a better record during his tenure, but you can’t say that and conveniently ignore that the record under gettleman was much better in turn while you’re trying to downplay his role in our success bc you’re in denial about his superiority in this role and want to act like he’s on equal ground with marty at best to warm the cockles of your heart about this offseason being run by a washout retread.

Arguing in favor of Hurney while sighting win percentage is pretty comical.

If your argument includes phrases like "well, we weren't quite as awful as you think", welp...

Just now, frash.exe said:

lol

Who did Gettleman sign/draft that transformed us into an NFL powerhouse?

Short, Norwell, Star, Turner, Harper, Funchess?

7 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Arguing in favor of Hurney while sighting win percentage is pretty comical.

If your argument includes phrases like "well, we weren't quite as awful as you think", welp...

because the minute they realize we actually did downgrade, they have to consider the possibility that this team is going to be eating poo every week in the near future.

hurney may not be as bad as millen was but you should read the way millen was brought in, it’s pretty funny and parallels hurney’s rise to power. he’s actually a really nice guy and the owner wanted to see him succeed which was why he lasted as long as he did. 

GM competency is a spectrum and hurney is much closer to millen on that graph than he is to gettleman.

5 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Who did Gettleman sign/draft that transformed us into an NFL powerhouse?

Short, Norwell, Star, Turner, Harper, Funchess?

That'd be all of them.

I realize this may be a difficult concept for you to understand as a Hurney supporter but pro football teams are actually built of several players, not just one or two.

It is a team sport.

41 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

i’m sure there are lions fans clamoring for matt millen to be brought back bc well technically he did draft calvin johnson, ernie sims, and jeff backus

You just invalidated your own argument. Wonderful work.

One minute its Hurney never had players good enough to worry about resigning the next it's that he drafted the best players because of high draft choices. 

I realize this is one of those shapeless and formless arguments where you will squirm forever to move the subject so have a good day.

1 minute ago, Car123 said:

All Gettleman did was fill in the cracks with adequate at best players.

Which was apparently enough to get us the best record in team history and a Super Bowl appearance.

At some point, you may want to realize that it's the results that matter, not the process.

Kudos to Hurney for learning new tricks.  He knows he made a mistake overpaying at the RB position in 2010 as well as other veterans who were already in decline.  I think Hurney 2.0 may pleasantly surprise us, but he better knock it out of the park in the Draft.

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

You just invalidated your own argument. Wonderful work.

One minute its Hurney never had players good enough to worry about resigning the next it's that he drafted the best players because of high draft choices. 

I realize this is one of those shapeless and formless arguments where you will squirm forever to move the subject so have a good day.

yet another toothless combine operator that doesn’t get the point

get lost dude

5 hours ago, JJman Returns said:

So 90% of the Huddle hated Hurney because he resigned players. But then they get mad because ....

He didn't resign a player.

Huddle logic 101...

I wish it were that simple.

I don't care if you're aggressive in free agency or conservative. I don't care if you love to trade up or prefer to trade down. I don't care if you want a team loaded with veterans or if you prefer a youth movement. Every one of those strategies can be positive or negative.

Whatever methodology you prefer, success all depends on choosing the right people.

Do that more do that more often than not, we succeed. Fail at it, we're screwed.

People's issues with Marty have a lot less to do with how he made his choices than they do with the fact that whichever ones he made were generally wrong.

Archived