• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Remember kids....

Jeremy Igo

1 minute ago, d-dave said:

Was he the worst kicker ever?  Did he deserve immediate cutting?  Would you trust a rookie or someone who has at least made SOME kicks?

How often do teams really strike gold with rookies?

I'm not saying going with Gano was correct, I am saying there's a logic there.

You’ll be hard pressed to find anyone (me included) who trusts Graham Gano to hit a meaningful FG down the stretch.

2 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Was he the worst kicker ever?  Did he deserve immediate cutting?  Would you trust a rookie or someone who has at least made SOME kicks?

How often do teams really strike gold with rookies?

I'm not saying going with Gano was correct, I am saying there's a logic there.

But I agree. We made the right call at the time going with Gano.

2 hours ago, JJman Returns said:

So 90% of the Huddle hated Hurney because he resigned players. But then they get mad because ....

He didn't resign a player.

Huddle logic 101...

Do you mean re-sign?  If so, you have to consider the cap and how much was spent vs. the value. My wife can be happy with me for investing for our retirement, but she can be upset with me if I do it poorly and we don't reach our goals. 

Jeremy is trying to give us all a lesson about value.  If we pay a LG $14m, he will never be able to earn his paycheck because no LG is worth that much, nor is a holder or a special teams ace.  Every position has a maximum possible value.  This is not about the GM re-signing players. 

8 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I was half kidding about Gano. 

But only half because he was absolutely horrible in 2016.

Going through 7 different holders to start the year and then kicking with a broken foot the rest of the year will cause a kicker to have a bad season. 

4 minutes ago, Johnny Rockets said:

Going through 7 different holders to start the year and then kicking with a broken foot the rest of the year will cause a kicker to have a bad season. 

So he's an aging vet with a history of inconsistency and injury with a high contract coming to an end soon?

Sounds like a perfect candidate to cut and move on from...

Again, just taking the piss, I know WHY we kept him, but I still thought it was better to roll with the rookie at the time. The fact that Butker had a great year is just confirmation bias towards my initial feelings of keeping him over Gano. 

2 hours ago, Toomers said:

But we have no problem with paying a K close to 5M//yr. 

Glad you brought that up because a kicker at $5 m on paper is a bad investment.   Gano had a good year, despite some glowing misses. 

Kickers can win or cost a team a game---a season.  I read somewhere that the kicker "only" costs a team a loss or wins a game for the team an average of 2 games per year.  Aside from QB, who else accounts for 12% of the wins and losses.  I realize the market value for kickers is lower, but the cost is tremendous if you do not have a good one.

7 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Glad you brought that up because a kicker at $5 m on paper is a bad investment.   Gano had a good year, despite some glowing misses. 

Kickers can win or cost a team a game---a season.  I read somewhere that the kicker "only" costs a team a loss or wins a game for the team an average of 2 games per year.  Aside from QB, who else accounts for 12% of the wins and losses.  I realize the market value for kickers is lower, but the cost is tremendous if you do not have a good one.

If we were discussing signing Justin Tucker, or another CONSISTENTLY great K, it would be different. Gano is not one of the players. He will lose as many as he will win. 

31 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Bad investment or not, if I'm paying a kicker 5 million a year, I'm damn sure going for it from 50 plus.

22 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

give hurney enough time and we won’t be having this “problem” where there are more players hitting FA than we can pay, because he won’t be able to bring in those kinds of players

He brought in our best players. 

Archived