• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Round 1 -> WR, RB, G, S, CB

Jeremy Igo

Forget about WR or DE, the only safe/sensible pick is a G.

Next year Williams will be a FA, R. Kalil will be on a beach, and assuming M Kalil does not improve, he will be cut.  Norwell is as good as gone considering our cap situation.  That leaves an untested Moton and Turner in 2019.  We desperately need some talent on the Offensive Line.  If the guy we pick this year can slide over and play C next year, all the better.

Picks 2, 3, and 3 should be used on TE, S, and maybe RB in no particular order.  The TE can back up Olsen for a year, but the other 2 will need to start.

Picks 5, 6, 7, and 7 should be used on LB, DT, T and K - again in no particular order. 

We should use what little cap we have to try to extend Williams and Funchess if possible and sign Peppers, a backup QB, and maybe a S - but we can't jeopardize the comp picks we should get next year for Norwell and Stah.

6 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

Next year Williams will be a FA, R. Kalil will be on a beach, and assuming M Kalil does not improve, he will be cut.  Norwell is as good as gone considering our cap situation.  That leaves an untested Moton and Turner in 2019.  We desperately need some talent on the Offensive Line.  If the guy we pick this year can slide over and play C next year, all the better.

Picks 2, 3, and 3 should be used on TE, S, and maybe RB in no particular order.  The TE can back up Olsen for a year, but the other 2 will need to start.

Picks 5, 6, 7, and 7 should be used on LB, DT, T and K - again in no particular order. 

We should use what little cap we have to try to extend Williams and Funchess if possible and sign Peppers, a backup QB, and maybe a S - but we can't jeopardize the comp picks we should get next year for Norwell and Stah.

This is sorta the way I am leaning.  Billy Price, Ohio State is going to be the pick unless someone like Ridley drops. 

I don't think any of the RBs outside of Barkley are worth a round 1 grade. That's not to say there aren't some good 3rd round grade RBs this year. 

My advice would be to take the best player out of these positions: DE, S, CB, OT, Billy Price, WR (has to be a stud) in round 1. 

Every other round can be best player at a position of relative need. We have to knock this draft out of the park. 

I agree about looking for a day one starter. 

If I'm the GM of a team under new ownership I'm treating this year as a one year interview.  In that case a RB would seem logical.  They seem to have easier transitions to the pros then some other positions.  I could see both Guice and Michel high on our board and still being there when our pick comes up.  

With Norwell maybe leaving and Kalil retiring after this year I think guard or center type could be possible also.  A guard defiantly could be a day one starter and there seems to be several that would provide good value where we are picking.

The only issue I would have with either of those picks would be the fact that I think interior offensive linemen and running backs seem to be two of the deeper positions this year.  I would think we would have a decent chance of drafting both in the 3rd round with our 2 picks.

As far other positions:

DE - I don't see a day one starter at 24.  Davenport would be tempting if he fell there but he would probably need some time.  Not sure if Hurney wants to wait.

OT- Here again not sure if they want to wait to develop one.  Doesn't seem to be an elite top 10 one in this years draft but there does seem to be several rated around where are picking.  Could be a really good long term investment.

Receivers - I hope we sign a quality one in free agency and therefore don't have to use a 1st on them.  If we don't sign one I fully expect it to be high on our need list.

CB and Safety - we definitely have the need but I'm not sure who would be on the board at that point.  I haven't looked closely at those postions yet but I would think by pick 24 the top 2 of each of those would be gone, so not sure how high the 3rd and 4th of each would be on our board.

TE- Goedert could be good value at 24.  With Olsen wouldn't be a day one starter.

Not saying this is what I would do but I can really see Guice and Price (depending on his injury) being very possible.

Maybe with all of the QBs this year one of the top-15 type of players will fall and maybe the pick becomes a bit of a surprise.  Someone like James or Ridley.

7 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

P.S. Good TEs can help your shaky OTs. This should be a top priority. 

22 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

You make a good point about M Kalil being cut.  Everyone is talking about replacing Norwell and/or R Kalil but we might need a LT next year. 

A lot depends on what the team thinks of Moton.  If they project him at LT or even RT if they think Williams can play LT, then we probably need a guard and center.  If they plan on playing him at guard we need center and LT.

You could make the argument that a LT could be a good pick in the first and then draft a center later.  I think you have a better chance of filling both spots by drafting LT in the first and center/guard in 2-4 then drafting the interior guy in the first round.

May be because I live in Alabama and watch half their games, but I'm big on the Ronnie Harrison bandwagon.  Hard hitting safety who could come in and start and give us some youth in the safety spot for years considering right now all we have is Adams.  I dream that Nick Chubb somehow falls to early 3rd and we go up and get him. I don't see him making it to the end of the 3rd.

Archived