• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and drafting receivers

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

No... The real story was Keyshawn was a cancer and constantly in Jakes face about getting him the ball.. And Him and Smitty were 2 seconds from a brawl daily.. You can act like you don't remember because your beloved Gman made the same type move.. But it's true.. 

And let's put some salt on this for you.  

No matter how much Smitty declined .. (which he still had 3  good season left in him).. It wasn't to the point Where Chotchery and Avant were a better option then him... What the fug are you talking about..

I LOVE Smitty on the field every bit as much as any Panthers fan, but I honestly have to wonder if Smitty's presence on the roster didn't in some ways contribute to all those WR failures that Hurney drafted. It's no secret at all that Smitty wasn't exactly the best, most supportive teammate to say the least and plenty of stories leaked out of Smitty bullying and belittling teammates. Not exactly a great environment for grooming young talent.

3 minutes ago, The Natural said:

Do you honestly believe in your heart that if Steve Smith had played in Super Bowl 50 he wouldn't be the best WR on the field for us? 

Would Cam Newton have flourished like he did the following season if Steve Smith were still around?

Just now, WOW!! said:

Big question.. Was Smitty in decline enough for Jason Avant and J Chotcery to be consider better options??

If you don't believe that Scot then you can stop with the spin control for Gman on this subjext..

Again, which team went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl the following year?

Was it the one with Steve Smith or the one without him?

(I can show you where to look it up if you're not sure of the answer)

8 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Smith had mediocre seasons before he was released.

And "two great seasons" is a bit of a stretch.  Smith was good early because he was high on rage fuel.  After playing us, he started to tail off. Heck, one of the Ravens beat reporters wrote a whole column about how little Smith was doing down the stretch.

Smith never sniffed the Super Bowl with the Ravens, but one year later we were back in it after having the best season in team history.

Yeah, what a huge mistake :eyeroll:

The next year though when he got hurt he had like 600 yards in 5 games and a quarter... He definitely played very well in Baltimore. But he did mainly because of the motivation of getting released. If we had kept him I’m sure he would’ve underperformed what his salary would’ve been, in addition to hindering Cam’s development as a passer and leader.

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I LOVE Smitty on the field every bit as much as any Panthers fan, but I honestly have to wonder if Smitty's presence on the roster didn't in some ways contribute to all those WR failures that Hurney drafted. It's no secret at all that Smitty wasn't exactly the best, most supportive teammate to say the least and plenty of stories leaked out of Smitty bullying and belittling teammates. Not exactly a great environment for grooming young talent.

That was my point in saying Keyshawn and Smitty were cut for the same reason.. I'm not the one spinning that Gman was smart because Smitty was declining and Hurney was dumb because he cut Keeyshawn for no reason.. 

See Scot..

1 minute ago, thomas96 said:

The next year though when he got hurt he had like 600 yards in 5 games and a quarter... He definitely played very well in Baltimore. But he did mainly because of the motivation of getting released. If we had kept him I’m sure he would’ve underperformed what his salary would’ve been, in addition to hindering Cam’s development as a passer and leader.

This is kind of a key point.

Smith in his last Panther years was not the same guy.  The notion that he would have suddenly some back to life without being pissed off over his release from the Panthers ignores what we all saw.

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

That was my point in saying Keyshawn and Smitty were cut for the same reason.. I'm not the one spinning that Gman was smart because Smitty was declining and Hurney was dumb because he cut Keeyshawn for no reason.. 

See Scot..

Post that doesn't mention Keyshawn somehow proves a point about Keyshawn...

Solid logic :eyeroll:

6 minutes ago, Rags said:

While I don't disagree that even later Smith > Cotch and Avant...would having Smith on the team really do anything in 2014?

We needed to move on eventually, why not sooner rather than later?

Again I'm saying Keyshawn and Smitty were cut for the same reason.. I'm not the one trying to spin that Gman was a genius  cutting smitty due to decline but than brings in to guys that couldn't hold Smitty jock strap at 50% of smitty..

I get negativity sells, but geesh.

We all know the history. It isn't just a Hurney problem. The Panthers have struggled to find anyone beyond Steve Smith that is actually capable of helming the WR corps. Who do we have to show for our efforts in the Cam Newton era so far? KB is stuck in Buffalo now. So Funchess? That's it. We traded up for him. And he's a #2 realistically.

The unfortunate reality is it isn't as easy as some of you guys make it sound to draft an elite WR capable of taking over a game. But if you want the ugly truth, we still have to try. Maybe we shouldn't have thrown 50 million at one of the worst left tackles in football? But we're here now. We need WR's who can actually catch the ball and make plays for Cam. I'm not thrilled about it either, but moves must be made. No more jags. Get real talent in here.

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Big question.. Was Smitty in decline enough for Jason Avant and J Chotcery to be consider better options or better players??

If you don't believe that Scot then you can stop with the spin control for Gman on this subjext..

Because we needed to rebuild at WR anyway. Steve had a record of hampering the devolpment of younger WRs, and wanted the Panthers to be his team still.

I love Smith to death, and I would love a scenario in which we coulda kept him, but for the long term health of the team, it was nessicary. 

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

Again I'm saying Keyshawn and Smitty were cut for the same reason.. I'm not the one trying to spin that Gman was a genius  cutting smitty due to decline but than brings in to guys that couldn't hold Smitty jock strap at 50% of smitty..

Let's try this one more time...

Which team went 15-1 and went to the Super Bowl the following year?

Was it the one with Steve Smith or the one without him?

Keep in mind that it's an entire team that plays in the games, not a single player.

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I honestly don't know the full Keyshawn story, I was just a surface level fan back then but I always thought it was like Scott said, because we believed in Jarett.

Any actual source that shows otherwise would be appreciated.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Riiiiight.

Remind me: Which team went to the Super Bowl the following year?  Was it the one with Steve Smith or the one without him?

W tf does that have to do with this poo?? See Scot you be on some dumb poo.. What the fug does team sccuess have to do with this individual conversation.. 

Smitty had nothing to do with the defense in 2015 having the most TO in the league..

You constantly go off the range to make a point that had poo to do with the conversations.. 

KB and Avant weren't on that team either...

So what is your point?? Cutting Smitty help them to a 15 and 1 season?? really??

Archived