• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and drafting receivers

Jeremy Igo

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

You didn't realize that Marty Hurney singlehandedly scouted Steve Smith, recommended him to personnel chief Jack Bushofsky and fought for him when no one else wanted to draft him? :fear:

Neither did I but to hear a couple of our resident defenders tell it, that's how it happened.

It goes back further than Hurney in that we do a shitty job at scouting receivers since day one, or it's harder to find a number 1. Landry worked out for Miami. But they also took a chance on Ginn who was a given. It's better to get a FA WR who's proven, then a year or two later draft someone that can be molded. I mean look at Randy Moss. He had Cris Carter and Jake Reed around him. That offense couldn't be covered. 

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

2nd.. And you had no problem with it at the time..

I doubt you actually remember anything I said at the time about Jarrett or anyone else.

If you did, you might remember that I was never a fan of drafting USC receivers (still not) but I was willing to hope for the best, same as I would with Jimmy Clausen or any other draft pick.

1 minute ago, NAS said:

Maybe our WR scouting sucks?

Who's in charge of hiring and firing scouts?

5 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I find it hilarious watching ppl who have been here for years act like they didn't have a opinion on the move when it happened or was against it from the start..

When in reality Hurney could have gotten free Blow jobs here for getting Jarret in the 2nd round.. We got Beason, Kali and CJ in that draft.. But that day It was "Omg we got Jarret" Steal of the draft.. Funny how ppl forget when it makes them look bad...

This is why it's so ridiculous grading drafts before guys have ever even stepped on an NFL field.

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

2nd.. And you had no problem with it at the time..

Because a bunch of random fans who know nothing liked a pick at the time that makes it a great pick even though the player wound up being complete trash? I guess we should evaluate GMs for how much the fans liked the pick at the time and not by the results on the field.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

I doubt you actually remember anything I said at the time about Jarrett or anyone else.

Who's in charge of hiring and firing scouts?

I remember the parade of joy on this site when we got Jarret and Clausen.. How many steal of the draft threads??

And we all have seen how you get when you don't agree with something this team does.. (like when Gman got fired) And you weren't like that when Hurney made those picks.. There was no 20 threads of disappointment from you on those days... So I guess you liked the moves...

4 minutes ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

In over a decade of trying Hurney has failed to draft a decent receiver.

This could finally be his year.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every now and again. 

Unfortunately, that is the hope at this point.

Just now, WOW!! said:

I remember the parade of joy on this site when we got Jarret and Clausen.. How many steal of the draft threads??

And we all have seen how you get when you don't agree with something this team does.. (like when Gman got fired) And you weren't like that when Hurney made those picks.. There was no 20 threads of disappointment from you on those days... So I guess you liked the moves...

See above...

As mentioned, I don't like USC receivers.  I was willing to give him a shot, but we see how that turned out.

With Clausen, I was not happy at all.  Willing to hope, yeah, but not at all optimistic.

Archived