• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and drafting receivers

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, Rags said:

A lot of people look at PFFs stats and think they have the whole story is the problem. I see it a LOT on the NFL subreddit.

There's a lot of info you can gain from PFF, but I feel it's realtively entry level poo (for getting into the analytics of football) if you don't pay for the premium. I rarely use them as much since I haven't had the ability to pay for it yet and a lot of their surface level poo doesn't really tell you much.

Edit - oh Christ wait is Hurney using pff to draft

I mean, I don't really have a problem with him looking at PFF or even reading draft magazines.  I just don't wanna see much stock put in either.

We do have a scouting department.

10 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

I still don't remember anybody mad on this board when he made that pick.. 

They weren’t mad with most of the moves Hurney made at the time. It’s all the hindsight bullshit. Still I wouldn’t mind the Hurney bashing if they didnt actually wish to have Gettleman back with it. I don’t want either, but I’d take Hurney over fat man every day of the week. 

39 minutes ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

That’s why he is going to draft a TE, RB, FS, & DE

I can definitely see getting the best TE in the draft two TE sets next season and long term replacement for Olsen,this offense needs a TE to go anywhere and what the OC wants is what we will get in the first and big RB in the 2nd to replace  Stuart 

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

I mean, I don't really have a problem with him looking at PFF or even reading draft magazines.  I just don't wanna see much stock put in either.

We do have a scouting department.

Honestly I would have an issue with this. I would not want a GM having their thoughts clouded by media BS. The subconscious works in strange ways that we aren't even beginning to comprehend.

Just now, AceBoogie said:

They weren’t mad with most of the moves Hurney made at the time. It’s all the hindsight bullshit. Still I wouldn’t mind the Hurney bashing if they didnt actually wish to have Gettleman back with it. I don’t want either, but I’d take Hurney over fat man every day of the week. 

Gettleman isn't coming back.  Everybody knows that.  Nobody's "wishing" for it because everyone understands it can't happen.

A lot of people do wish our idiot owner hadn't replaced him with Hurney, but there's no changing that now.

What people actually want is a real GM that could get hired by someone other than Jerry Richardson, but that's also not happening until we get a new owner, so the best hope for now is just that Hurney does minimal damage.

6 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Hurney = 1 hit (a single with Lafell) and a lot of swings and misses.

Gettleman = 2 hits (singles with KB and Funchess), and Samuel still at bat.  

However, it doesn't really matter how Gettleman did.  He works for another team now.  Hurney has perhaps the worst record of any NFL GM when it comes to drafting or signing free agent wide receivers, and he is the one who will be making the choices this year.  That should worry any rational panthers fan. 

Funny labeling kb a hit. 

Unless one of the top 2-3 guys falls to us for no rational reason (or we'll willing to trade up), then I don't want Hurney drafting WRs. We need to add one blue chipper this offseason and maybe a couple other guys who can challenge our current top 3 (Funchess, Samuel, Byrd). I just read the Steelers are listening to trade offers for Martavis Bryant. There's a guy we can give up less than a first round pick for and sign for a modest long term deal that will immediately be at least our second best receiver. 

Archived