• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and drafting receivers

Jeremy Igo

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Yes we honestly don't so why do you keep trying to push this narritive.. I based my opinion on a 6th round pick giving you 2 pro bowl season and a high comp pick.. That's a good pick no matter what flags were there... How many 6th round picks yield that much return??

I think I've made it pretty clear why but I'll say it one more time...

For a pass rusher with prototypical size and athleticism with 39.5 career SEC sacks to go undrafted until the 6th round, there were some HUGE off field red flags as indicated by the indefinite suspension he was handed for an undisclosed "violation of team rules".

8 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

No they did not! I’m not gonna hunt it for you, but google some of his old scouting reports. There is a Sports Illustrated article(hard copy) that went over all of Greg Hardy’s background. Impressive in many ways! I’m not gonna sit here and say I wouldn’t have made that Hardy pick in the 6th rd., but just like I’m not blaming him for a failed pick, I’m not giving him some “diamond in the rough” finder credit either. Closes thing I’ve seen the Panthers doing that is Smitty, Norwell, and Mike Mitchell

and Jake of course, but Jake was just a good game manager that meshed well with Smitty. So in return Smitty made him look competent 

CAM got kicked out of college got arrested and had a pay for play scandal.. And Smitty had gang affiliation in LA.. That is way more than we know about Hardy's red flags..

Oh and Smitty was a 3rd round pick.. wtf are you talking about diamond in the ruff 3rd round pick?? Really??

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Yes we honestly don't so why do you keep trying to push this narritive.. I based my opinion on a 6th round pick giving you 2 pro bowl season and a high comp pick.. That's a good pick no matter what flags were there... How many 6th round picks yield that much return??

Just to touch on this, he was injured his entire final year at college....I’m almost certain. He had some issues in college, but it was his high school stuff that stood out to me the most!

For the record, I’m still not convinced he did what he was accused of....he wasn’t convicted. Yeah, I know why he wasn’t. However, to me that spoke volumes

Just now, WOW!! said:

CAM got kicked out of college got arrested and had a pay for play scandal.. And Smitty had gang affiliation in LA.. That is way more than we know about Hardy's red flags..

Oh and Smitty was a 3rd round pick.. wtf are you talking about diamond in the ruff 3rd round pick?? Really??

60% of the players in the NFL have past gang affiliations. That’s not a red flag anymore unless they have gotten in documented trouble with gang member associates. (see Delvin Cook)

1 minute ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think I've made it pretty clear why but I'll say it one more time...

For a pass rusher with prototypical size and athleticism with 39.5 career SEC sacks to go undrafted until the 6th round, there were some HUGE off field red flags as indicated by the indefinite suspension he was handed for an undisclosed "violation of team rules".

Okay last time .. What the fug does that have to do with a 6th round pick giving you 5 years 2 pro bowl and a higher comp pick on the way out ...

You do understand you usually don't get poo from a 6th round pick.. We have cut a lot of 6th round picks in TC..I'm basing my opinion on this fact.. Do you understand??

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Okay last time .. What the fug does that have to do with a 6th round pick giving you 5 years 2 pro bowl and a higher comp pick on the way out ...

You do understand you usually don't get poo from a 6th round pick.. We have cut a lot of 6th round picks in TC..I'm basing my opinion on this fact.. Do you understand??

Almost 10% of our yearly cap disappeared for nothing! We got 0 Super Bowl wins off his pro bowl seasons.

If it makes you feel better, that pick alone make Hurney a drafting guru!

Feel better?

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

You seem to be forgetting one key thing here. You know, the very thing we're arguing about here which was whther or not it's fair to blame the GM for the issues Hardy ended up having. I said yes due to the mountain of evidence that NFL franchises had deemed his off field red flags to be significant enough to pass on a prototypical NFL pass ruaher again and again and again.

9 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

Lol, Godfrey NEVER earned a starting spot! He was only a starter by default because he had no real competition and they were gonna make that draft pick work

Darrel Willimson has only started for 1 year.. So again what the fug are you talking.. Again YOU are giving solid grades to players who haven't done poo just earned starting minutes or been in the league 1 year.. Based off your Criteria.. Ricky Manning , Richard Marshall, D Foster, Geoff Shwarts, Kris Magnum, and a lot of other players were solid...

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You seem to be forgetting one key thing here. You know, the very thing we're arguing about here which was whther or not it's fair to blame the GM for the issues Hardy ended up having. I said yes due to the mountain of evidence that NFL franchises had deemed his off field red flags to be significant enough to pass on a prototypical NFL pass ruaher again and again and again.

And again I don't blame the GM for taking a 6th round flier on a super athletic specimen with red flags.. 

And at the end of the day it wasn't a bad pick for us..

My biggest issues with Hurney's drafting history are:

1. Constantly whiffing on 2nd round picks. That hurts. That really, really hurts.

2. His complete inability to draft an NFL caliber WR. LaFell was by far his best one and he was almost universally hated.

3. His affinity for trading future higher round picks for current lower round picks. Talking about robbing Peter to pay Paul...

I will say this! Hurney can get back in my good graces this year.

I want him to blow up the cap this year since he knows he want be around with new owners! Destroy our cap signing young viable free agents. Put us in the biggest cap hell ever, but just make it fit for this year! 

Then trade whatever he needs to get 3 first rd picks since that’s the only rd he is sure money. 

Destroy it all like it’s our last year and then a new front office can fix it after a Super Bowl.

Just now, WOW!! said:

And again I don't blame the GM for taking a 6th round flier on a super athletic specimen with red flags.. 

And at the end of the day it wasn't a bad pick for us..

Drop the 6th rounder stuff. It isn't about that. My initial reply was solely regarding whether or not it's fair to blame Hurney for the situation Hardy ultimately put himself in. Yes. Yes it is. The red flags were there.

You argue that he was worth the risk in the 6th round. Okay, I can understand that. No argument there. But no, you cannot resolve Hurney of blame for that ultimate situation.

7 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

Almost 10% of our yearly cap disappeared for nothing! We got 0 Super Bowl wins off his pro bowl seasons.

If it makes you feel better, that pick alone make Hurney a drafting guru!

Feel better?

Again you can't say poo because you are giving high grades to

1 season players

Guys who just started earning starting jobs

And guys who haven't made a pro bowl or done poo to even be considered avg. Players yer.. 

Archived