• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and drafting receivers

Jeremy Igo

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

But I wonder what we had to give up when we were forced to leave $13M in cap space on the sidelines when he got put on the commissioner's exempt list after he was franchised?

When a guy has enough red flags that the entire NFL is passing on him over and over and over again - even teams like the Bengals and Raiders - it's a really good indication that you probably should too.

They passed on Brady like that as well .. It has happen to a lot a player.. That doesn't make the pick bad and we flip that into a higher comp pick. 

1 minute ago, WOW!! said:

They passed on Brady like that as well .. It has happen to a lot a player.. That doesn't make the pick bad and we flip that into a higher comp pick. 

Essentially we got Funchess for it right? Hmmm, we will see if that was a wise GM move! Really would like that 13.6 back on the salary cap though

4 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

Yep! As much as Charles Godfrey or Fua fits the criteria

That's your criteria .. You are giving solid grades to players who haven't done poo yet.. Some of your listed plAyers are on the Godferey line.. All they've done is earn a starting gig as of now..

2 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Completely different situation. No one was passing on Brady due to off field concerns. That's specifically what I was talking about. Hardy and Brady were polar opposite situations. Both were good college performers at premier positions, but Hardy also had prototypical NFL size and athleticism. That usually = high draft pick. Brady on the other hand was a very marginal athlete. Everything about him physically said NFL backup at best. That's why he lasted until the 6th.

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Brady was the luckiest pick EVER in the draft! Nothing about him said he couldn’t be had as an UDFA. Bellichek made that move and wow that became the most storied pick ever! If Fasani or Pike became half of what Brady was, then I would be all about some Hurndog

33 minutes ago, Gin and Juice said:

-Getting us out of Cap hell with bargain bin players

-KK, Trai Turner, Daryl Williams, Star, Bradberry, Norwell, McCaffery, Shaq, and Funchess are all quality starters. Jury is still out on the others.

-As far as Free Agents, last year was his first year to be able to do something and at the moment I’m unimpressed.

-Results were 75% of his years were playoffs and 25% of them were Super Bowl appearances.

BUT HE IS GONE SO LET’s move the conversation back to Hurney!

Again you need to look at your list again .. You have a lot of Charles Godfrey on your list..

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

That's your criteria .. You are giving solid grades to players who haven't done poo yet.. Some of your listed plAyers are on the Godferey line.. All they've done is earn a starting gig as of now..

Godfrey sucked as a starter! Still better than Fua, Martin, Sheldon, or Jarrett. If I was overselling players, Worley and Bene would have made the list. I should have included Butker! Just saying

4 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Again you need to look at your list again .. You have a lot of Charles Godfrey on your list..

Every player listed puts Godfrey to Shame! I don’t see Tre Boston on my list and even he is a better player! Butler is looking promising! Now granted, all those players still have more steps to take

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Completely different situation. No one was passing on Brady due to off field concerns. That's specifically what I was talking about. Hardy and Brady were polar opposite situations. Both were good college performers at premier positions, but Hardy also had prototypical NFL size and athleticism. That usually = high draft pick. Brady on the other hand was a very marginal athlete. Everything about him physically said NFL backup at best. That's why he lasted until the 6th.

Dude agree to disagree.. For 6th round pick you got 5 years of games played 2 double digit sack years and a all pro season.. Good pick imo.. And nothing in his background said psychopath.. Cam and Smitty had more on their record then he did..

1 minute ago, Gin and Juice said:

Every player listed puts Godfrey to Shame! I don’t see Tre Boston on my list and even he is a better player! Butler is looking promising! Now granted, all those players still have more steps to take

3 of those players are defentntly on the Godfrey line of just earning starting spots and done nothing of note yet..

3 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

Dude agree to disagree.. For 6th round pick you got 5 years of games played 2 double digit sack years and a all pro season.. Good pick imo.. And nothing in his background said psychopath.. Cam and Smitty had more on their record then he did..

You keep saying "nothing in his history said..." but we honestly don't know. There was stuff in his history that made a prototypical NFL size/athlete with 39.5 SEC sacks go umdrafted until the 6th round. There were some HUGE red flags there for that to happen.

8 minutes ago, WOW!! said:

No they did not! I’m not gonna hunt it for you, but google some of his old scouting reports. There is a Sports Illustrated article(hard copy) that went over all of Greg Hardy’s background. Impressive in many ways! I’m not gonna sit here and say I wouldn’t have made that Hardy pick in the 6th rd., but just like I’m not blaming him for a failed pick, I’m not giving him some “diamond in the rough” finder credit either. Closes thing I’ve seen the Panthers doing that is Smitty, Norwell, and Mike Mitchell

and Jake of course, but Jake was just a good game manager that meshed well with Smitty. So in return Smitty made him look competent 

2 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You keep saying "nothing in his history said..." but we honestly don't know. There was stuff in his history that made a prototypical NFL size/athlete with 39.5 SEC sacks go umdrafted until the 6th round. There were some HUGE red flags there for that to happen.

Yes we honestly don't so why do you keep trying to push this narritive.. I based my opinion on a 6th round pick giving you 2 pro bowl season and a high comp pick.. That's a good pick no matter what flags were there... How many 6th round picks yield that much return??

Archived