• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hurney and drafting receivers

Jeremy Igo

9 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

He wasn’t GM when we drafted Smitty. Not counting Moose coming back, Hurney did not add 1 single legit WR in his entire time as GM here...

All the people cheering for DG gone and also wanting to get Cam weapons are getting exactly what they wished for. Hurney wasting resources on sh*tty receivers. 

You didn't realize that Marty Hurney singlehandedly scouted Steve Smith, recommended him to personnel chief Jack Bushofsky and fought for him when no one else wanted to draft him? :fear:

Neither did I but to hear a couple of our resident defenders tell it, that's how it happened.

and people on here wouldn't want to get jarvis landry  or sammy watkins smh . mines well get a star wr in freeagency and a decent wr . get someone like landry or watkins and pair him with mike wallace /john,jaron,ALBERTwilson,torrey smith and BOOM!!! WR core is solved and we can focus the draft on getting some pass rushers , dbs and a power running back 

1 minute ago, Palmetto said:

I hope we have better scouts/Grading system this time around

Found out from reading a recent article that the Panthers have a subscription to Pro Football Focus.

No, I'm not kidding.

I can understand looking at all available info.  I'm just hoping PFF is a "due dilligence" thing and not a primary source for grading.

Also know from an interview a while back that Hurney buys and reads annual draft previews and magazines.

15 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

He wasn’t GM when we drafted Smitty. Not counting Moose coming back, Hurney did not add 1 single legit WR in his entire time as GM here...

All the people cheering for DG gone and also wanting to get Cam weapons are getting exactly what they wished for. Hurney wasting resources on sh*tty receivers. 

Cause DG really knocked it out of the park with KB right? Jury is still out on Fun fun, and Samuel. Let's not pretend DG was great at getting WRs either. 

2 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Found out from reading a recent article that the Panthers have a subscription to Pro Football Focus.

No, I'm not kidding.

I can understand looking at all available info.  I'm just hoping PFF is a "due dilligence" thing and not a primary source for grading.

Also know from an interview a while back that Hurney buys and reads annual draft previews and magazines.

I can understand having a subscription to PFF. They're probably the best stat aggragator out there. I sure as hell hope we're not paying much attention to their "grades" but I could see PFF saving a lot of time and effort in terms of crunching numbers on the stats.

I seriously hope that no NFL GM would pay any attention what so ever to media draft previews, but would it surprise anyone if Hurney wasn't prepping for the draft on a daily basis using the fanspeak draft simulator?

3 minutes ago, juliosantos said:

lets put all of hurneys past besides him. he didn't do bad during last season and he hits on first round picks usually and at least hes addressing the need  and is straight forward with us saying we need more speed on offense and better receivers 

I really wish there was a way for us to keep Hurney onboard with the sole job of making our 1st round pick. That's it. His entire job is scouting and prepping to use our 1st round pick and once that pick is made, he's on to scouting next year's 1st round. No drafting past the 1st round, no free agency, no negotiating contract extensions, no nothing. You make the 1st round pick and then you GTFO.

21 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Gettleman did?

Archived