• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This franchise will look so different a year from now.

Jeremy Igo

Absolutely agree that the franchise will look much different. We will have new ownership and with it likely an entire new front office and likely a new GM. Stew, TD, Kalil (likely both of them), probably Coleman and Adams, probably Norwell and Star will be gone. This truly will be the last run for the old regime. A new era starts in 2019.

4 hours ago, Snake said:

We're not going to a SB this year with Hurney at the helm. It's looking more likely we will let all our top FAs walk then in typical Panthers style scrambling using stop gaps to replace them. At best this team finishes 8-8.

Yeah,  given the mess Gettleman left behind I'm having a hard time seeing how we could fill every hole in one off-season. 

48 minutes ago, HornetsSting said:

Couldn't a buyer just tell JR " Sure, Mr Richardson, I will do as you wish." Then turn around and do whatever the hell he wants after the deal is done. I can't imagine there being a contract stipulating the new owner follow in It's footsteps.

That's like me buying a car from someone and he asks me to get it serviced at the same mom and pop shop, at the end of the day, as the new OWNER of the new car, I can take it where I damn well please to get it serviced.

Yes but that's not what I'm talking about at all. What I meant was someone who shares core philosophies and values with JR who will run it in a similar way because of those. And by that I mean other people who would be very conservative like him in every aspect, not want criminals or questionable character players on the team, value the league over the team, etc.

And I don't mean at all that JR would be telling this guy to do all that, but that he will be vetting each and every buyer and all those core beliefs and values may be a part of the process of picking how to sell to. We don't know how large a factor that could be, or what exactly JR is looking for in a buyer, maybe none of that even matters. Maybe he only cares about the highest bidder and would sell it to P-Diddy if he had $3B (he doesn't obviously just an example). Maybe the only thing he cares about is keeping it in Carolina. Or maybe he'll want someone who he thinks will run it similarly to him. I don't know and we'll just have to wait to find out.

im excited, the Hurney rehire nonwithstanding. This team will look different even down to the players with alot of the old guard retiring in the next few years. The great news is that this team is not having to start from square one. we have a deep core of young talent to work with. As long as the new owner hires the right type of guy to be GM, i will have full confidence that the Panthers may not skip a beat in football operations. imagine if we can string together a few winning seasons (obviously needs to start with two in a row) despite the front office reset and subsequent team culture change? and if we can win a Super Bowl in that process?? holy chit yall that'll be a story for the ages

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I'm not sure Culverhouse had that much of a financial advantage over the other owners. But even if he had, the old "Plan B" free agency system was terrible. It was basically restricted free agency for everybody. Players absolutely hated it.

All of them had the ability to pay for a team that would dominate if they wanted to. Yes some owner had more money than others of course but they all had enough where they could pay players whatever they wanted if they wanted to win badly enough for it to be worth it. 

With the salary cap we've had to let a ton of extremely talented players we drafted walk. They never ever had that problem. There's no possible way you can argue it's been easier for us with the salary cap. That's silly.

56 minutes ago, HornetsSting said:

Couldn't a buyer just tell JR " Sure, Mr Richardson, I will do as you wish." Then turn around and do whatever the hell he wants after the deal is done. I can't imagine there being a contract stipulating the new owner follow in It's footsteps.

That's like me buying a car from someone and he asks me to get it serviced at the same mom and pop shop, at the end of the day, as the new OWNER of the new car, I can take it where I damn well please to get it serviced.

The NFL has to approve the sale, and yes, that includes their lawyers looking over the contract. I wouldn't put it past Richardson to try and add some stipulations, but I doubt the league would allow it.

Heck, even though they favor keeping the team in Charlotte, I doubt that accept any legal stipulation that forced it.

2 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

All of them had the ability to pay for a team that would dominate if they wanted to. Yes some owner had more money than others of course but they all had enough where they could pay players whatever they wanted if they wanted to win badly enough for it to be worth it. 

With the salary cap we've had to let a ton of extremely talented players we drafted walk. They never ever had that problem. There's no possible way you can argue it's been easier for us with the salary cap. That's silly.

They also couldn't sign free agents like we can, so the only players they could really spend on were their own draft picks. That's a big disadvantage.

Kevin Colbert talked about it in the video  from the Steelers. He said the reason that the Steelers made sure they drafted well in the 70s was because that was really their only option.

They also didn't get as many extra picks in their first draft as we did (four each in the second to fifth round only) and the league didn't require other teams to submit medical information on players they put up in the expansion draft.

Say what you will about Tampa, but they definitely had a harder start than we did. It's one of the reasons why the league gave us and the Jags the advantages that it did. They wanted us to be competitive immediately instead of going 0-26 to start out.

5 hours ago, Devil Doc said:

I can see that, but do they not teach forgiveness anymore? It is bad enough he is "Forced/Voluntold" to sell his team. I am not saying he is a Saint by any means, and yes what he has done is deplorable. I still believe in forgiveness ( to a degree)... I guess I give too much credit to people.

Forgiveness is one thing , allowing him back into the environment is something else again

He brought his punishment on himself and not being man enough to own his behavior. I do not feel sorry for an over indulged billionaire with no common sense on boundaries 

1 hour ago, The Natural said:

Yeah,  given the mess Gettleman left behind I'm having a hard time seeing how we could fill every hole in one off-season. 

Gettleman left behind lmao. Hold on to your nickers. We are about to franchise a kicker and let our two best FA walk for nothing. And that's just to start. 

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

Gettleman left behind lmao. Hold on to your nickers. We are about to franchise a kicker and let our two best FA walk for nothing. And that's just to start. 

Star doesn't really want to be here (unless we offer more than anyone else)  and we can't afford Norwell.... It is what it is. There's really not a whole lot Hurney can do to keep them without handicapping the team. Our entire secondary is a complete joke, we need a good vet WR, we're ancient at DE and have a turnstile for a LT. We have a TON of holes on this team and realistically there's no way to fix all of that in a single off-season. 

Archived