• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

This franchise will look so different a year from now.

Jeremy Igo

16 minutes ago, NAS said:

Except the Panthers under Richardson are hardly the lowly Buccaneers of those first 20 years.  Panthers have two NFC championships and two Super Bowl appearances to show for our first 20 years of existence. Most teams would have killed to have that type of success in their first 20 years.  Let's stop crapping on Richardson for everything.

Tampa was a true expansion team. They were given pretty much none of the advantages that the Panthers and Jaguars had.  After both of those teams made the conference championships in their second year, the rest of the owners decided they'd given too much and scaled back advantages for future expansion teams like the Texans.

Heck, unrestricted free agency as you now know it didn't start until the early 90s. For the first 15 or 16 years or so, the Bucs only real choice was to build through the draft.  Neither was there a salary cap to keep other teams from just outspending you. That wasn't instituted until the year before we even came into existence.

The NFL of the 70s is not the same as the NFL you know, not by far. The Bucs and Seahawks had a much much harder path to team building than the Panthers and Jags.

4 minutes ago, Devil Doc said:

My question is this, can Richardson still become a minority owner? Think about it, he sells the team, but buys back 10% or so... is that possible?

No.

The NFL is not letting Jerry Richardson back in the clubhouse. I get the feeling that if they had the power to erase his name from team history, they would.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

No.

The NFL is not letting Jerry Richardson back in the clubhouse. I get the feeling that if they had the power to erase his name from team history, they would.

I know JR has done some no so tasteful things, but I wouldn't completely erase him from History. I still think he should be able to own a minority stake. Of Course, a lot of apologies, and repentance is in place first.

3 minutes ago, Devil Doc said:

I know JR has done some no so tasteful things, but I wouldn't completely erase him from History. I still think he should be able to own a minority stake. Of Course, a lot of apologies, and repentance is in place first.

The league would no more want to have  Jerry Richardson as an owner than they would want Ray Rice as a player.

In the current political atmosphere, with things like #metoo and such, Richardson is a pariah.

20 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Tampa was a true expansion team. They were given pretty much none of the advantages that the Panthers and Jaguars had.  After both of those teams made the conference championships in their second year, the rest of the owners decided they'd given too much and scaled back advantages for future expansion teams like the Texans.

Heck, unrestricted free agency as you now know it didn't start until the early 90s. For the first 15 or 16 years or so, the Bucs only real choice was to build through the draft.  Neither was there a salary cap to keep other teams from just outspending you. That wasn't instituted until the year before we even came into existence.

The NFL of the 70s is not the same as the NFL you know, not by far. The Bucs and Seahawks had a much much harder path to team building than the Panthers and Jags.

There being a salary cap works in our favor in this argument Scot. Bucs could've easily just spent and spent and spent and it'd be easy. It was much harder for us no matter how you look at it.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

The league would no more want to have  Jerry Richardson as an owner than they would want Ray Rice as a player.

In the current political atmosphere, with things like #metoo and such, Richardson is a pariah.

I can see that, but do they not teach forgiveness anymore? It is bad enough he is "Forced/Voluntold" to sell his team. I am not saying he is a Saint by any means, and yes what he has done is deplorable. I still believe in forgiveness ( to a degree)... I guess I give too much credit to people.

Just now, thomas96 said:

There being a salary cap works in our favor in this argument Scot. Bucs could've easily just spent and spent and spent and it'd be easy. It was much harder for us no matter how you look at it.

I'm not sure Culverhouse had that much of a financial advantage over the other owners. But even if he had, the old "Plan B" free agency system was terrible. It was basically restricted free agency for everybody. Players absolutely hated it.

3 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

No it doesn't, no, and nope. Triple loss.

2 minutes ago, Devil Doc said:

I can see that, but do they not teach forgiveness anymore? It is bad enough he is "Forced/Voluntold" to sell his team. I am not saying he is a Saint by any means, and yes what he has done is deplorable. I still believe in forgiveness ( to a degree)... I guess I give too much credit to people.

Forgiveness tends to be personal. Business and politics don't engage in it all that frequently.

The NFL was a little more "forgiving" than a lot of folks thought they should be with a few of their previous investigations. Wouldn't put any bets on that happening again.

Archived