• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UNCC Belk College of Business

Ja  Rhule

while I was at UNCC I saw it both ways. many people didn't get involved with anything other than class. i made it a point to make the most of my experience there, and went to basketball games, frat parties, the bars around campus, and ate a lot on campus. taking every chance I got to meet more people. i wish i was still there scouting tale around the nursing and business schools.

The average starting salary coming out of Charlotte is higher than it is coming out of Chapel Hill. NC State's is the highest in the state, N.C A&T is actually second I believe, Charlotte is 3rd, and Chapel Hill is 4th. Those engineering salaries really prop up the average starting salaries for State, A&T, and Charlotte though. The average starting out of Belk College of Business is negligibly less (less than a $1000 difference, although I don't recall exact amount) than it is coming out of Kenan-Flagler Business School at Carolina. This is all as of 2007 though, so things may have changed since then. I'm sure the average starting salaries for nearly all college grads nationwide are lower than they were two years ago.

Charlotte's business school is looked pretty highly upon by the business community, particularly in Charlotte. This is just a bad time to be looking for a job.

I graduated, got a crap job, lost said crap job, and am now working PT at Sears just as I was when I was in school.

@smootsdaddy, it's obvious you know very little about Charlotte other than outdated stereotypes. It's has very good programs, just low admission standards because its purpose is to serve the Charlotte community. Most urban universities have high acceptance rates. The acceptance rates into the schools of business, architecture, nursing, and engineering are very low and are super competitive programs.

You are correct that it doesn't have the atmosphere of a university located in a college town. There is more to do in Charlotte than in those places, plus they generally have a much longer history than UNCC. Despite some of its shortcomings, it is not a suitcase college or commuter school like most portray it to be. A higher percentage of students live on or within a mile of campus than they do at Carolina or State.

The experience is what you make of it, just as it is at every school. There are parties, college bar nights, fraternities, etc just like at every other major university. The only true shortcoming is the lack of DI college football, a problem that will be fixed in 2013.

My wife is in the Wealth Management department at BB&T and she has talked about going back to school, they told her going to UNCC will not benefit her, Wake Forest on the other hand....
Pretty much. Execs like to try and hire from nonlocal colleges, gives them a broader range of viewpoints and skillsets. Local college degrees are a dime a dozen and are usually used to fill in the gaps.

Engineering, Architecture, the optics program within the physics department, planning, and nursing are all big strengths at Charlotte from what I've seen.

The business program has mixed reviews at best. I think it depends on what your focus is.

Also I don't know where the hell you get your info but PrincetonReview has a $12,000 difference between the two business schools for starting salaries, and I consider PrincetonReview to be much more reliable than uncciskewl.com

Tensor is a UNCC homer, he has neg repped me a couple times for mocking UNCC trying to get a football team.

UNCC has a good Education program as well. They pump out more teachers than any other school in the state except for one other I think.

I'm not saying they're a horrible school, but goddamn stop trying to minimize the difference between UNCC and UNC. They're miles apart. Although UNCC is slowly catching up.

Yeah I was going to say Raleigh isn't exactly a small college town.

Oh boy, do we have to have the Charlotte > Raleigh debate? Raleigh's growth and size is primarily a function of the 3 major universities located in it or very near by. RTP didn't form there because the weather is nice...I also have to bring in the whole State Capital disqualifier for my theory (you could argue against me on USC in Columbia as well). Capitals naturally are going to have a university and a natural size increase simply from being a Capital city so they skew things...

Tensor is right though, the somewhat less stringent standards to make it into the general university are laxer than some of the state counterparts up I-85 but thats done on purpose as they server a large metropoiltan community. The individual schools within the college serve as the gatekeeper and are much more selective.

This is stupid. I'm not going to argue with you about technicalities and semantics. UNCC doesn't suffer from a geographic problem, it suffers from student body problem. You could pick UNCC up and drop it in the middle of nowhere and it wouldn't change the apathetic attitude of many of the students. Charlotte actually having things to do is just a convenience for people who want to avoid the university outside of their classes.

My wife is in the Wealth Management department at BB&T and she has talked about going back to school, they told her going to UNCC will not benefit her, Wake Forest on the other hand....

BB&T projected to hire about 300 students this year... Kind of sad when only 4 come from UNCC.

Another sad thing is UNCC MBA program professor told me not to come to UNCC for masters program if I want to achieve something in my life.

Archived