• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UNCC Belk College of Business

Ja  Rhule

Is struggling. I talked to someone who is very high in the office and she told me that most employers dislike UNCC for few reasons which she won't tell me...

She gave me some numbers tho... BofA came in with the following openings; Middle office 12 positions, FMAP 15 positions, and Corporate Workplace 10 positions. They received 210 resumes but interviewed only 60 people. Out of this 60 people, 0 received 2nd interview for FMAP, 1 received 2nd interview for Middle Office, and 2 received 2nd interview for Corporate Workplace.

BB&T Leadership Development Program (20 jobs) received 140 resumes, 70 people got interviewed. Only 4 passed 1st interview...

Bad time to be struggling...

I'm familiar with that program and it doesn't sound all that out of the ordinary. Folks from numerous and prestigious universities are interviewed from all over the country for those jobs. Considering what I'm sure is a relatively smaller than normal job pool for this program than in years past, its not all that suprising that they are being extremely selective. That pool of jobs you listed is not looking to just be filled by people in this area, they take kids from all over the country.

I'm familiar with that program and it doesn't sound all that out of the ordinary. Folks from numerous and prestigious universities are interviewed from all over the country for those jobs. Considering what I'm sure is a relatively smaller than normal job pool for this program than in years past, its not all that suprising that they are being extremely selective. That pool of jobs you listed is not looking to just be filled by people in this area, they take kids from all over the country.

Trust me, I know. It never being so low tho... I know few people with 4.0 GPA who did not got a single job interview. Usually those people would be first to get an interview but it looks like GPA is not a big factor this days. Only about 5% of UNCC seniors got a 2nd interview other 95% have to look for a job else where. It was near 30% to 40% last year.

Too many people getting degrees nowadays, oversaturation. Combine that with many young people that think once they get the degree they'll have employers throwing 50k/year jobs at them. Your degree just gets you in the door sometimes, it's no guarantee and right now companies ain't making as much money and are hiring less of you.

Too many people getting degrees nowadays, oversaturation. Combine that with many young people that think once they get the degree they'll have employers throwing 50k/year jobs at them. Your degree just gets you in the door sometimes, it's no guarantee and right now companies ain't making as much money and are hiring less of you.

Yeap, plus what SD said. Too many students plus crappy school will do that.

I mean it IS getting better academically. But it's still largely attended by Duke/UNC/NC State/Wake rejects. If you want proof, all you have to do is stand around the Belk tower when classes are changing and count the number of people wearing shirts supporting those schools compared to those wearing shirts supporting UNCC. 10:1 might be too generous of a ratio.

I mean it IS getting better academically. But it's still largely attended by Duke/UNC/NC State/Wake rejects. If you want proof, all you have to do is stand around the Belk tower when classes are changing and count the number of people wearing shirts supporting those schools compared to those wearing shirts supporting UNCC. 10:1 might be too generous of a ratio.

10:1 is a pretty gross exageration of the phenomenon but it does happen, I'll admit. Put on a flatter playing field though, the school holds up pretty well when you look at things on a nationwide level instead of a Carolinian level. Those schools you listed above are some of the best in the nation, not just this state so playing second fiddle to that is still pretty strong.

In terms of academia, UNCC is doing a great deal to establish itself as a serious R&D school which is good for long term growth. The engineering program there is neck and neck with NC State (the only other program in the ballpark nearby) and most grads of that program that I know of have landed very nice jobs right out of school.

I think in the long term though to really move up in the hierarchy of NC schools they're going to have to do more to encourage campus life and school spirit. Hopefully Football works out and aides in pushing things that direction. Then again any school located in a major city and not a college town always struggles for those things so it may never happen.

Your last paragraph pretty much hits the nail on the head. Most of my high school friends who went to UNCC really treated it like a community college. Never got involved in campus life, never went to any games, even basketball. Of course they also ended up dropping out too, but I digress. I do think football will help with that, but even then it will take time to develop the type of atmosphere you see at UNC or NC State. Hell, even schools like Eastern Carolina have more of a community feel from my experience.

Your last paragraph pretty much hits the nail on the head. Most of my high school friends who went to UNCC really treated it like a community college. Never got involved in campus life, never went to any games, even basketball. Of course they also ended up dropping out too, but I digress. I do think football will help with that, but even then it will take time to develop the type of atmosphere you see at UNC or NC State. Hell, even schools like Eastern Carolina have more of a community feel from my experience.

Yea I think alot of that community feel comes from usually being located in a smaller town where a large campus/school dominates the landscape so to speak. Chapel Hill or Greenville, NC would just be another quaint country NC town if it weren't for the universities there. You don't have a major population center there feeding the university with students so by and large the students present there come from somewhere else. That factor in conjunction with the smallness of the towns means there isn't much else to life other than the university in those situations. Its great for school spirit and that experience so I'm certainly not knocking it. I'm more trying to account for the different feels one gets between those schools and those located in larger metropolitan areas.

Archived