• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curtis Samuel will likely miss OTAs

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, OneBadCat said:

I think the reality though is that Funchess is a better WR than Kelvin Benjamin. Devin has the same elements of KB but he’s also faster, a better route runner, better body control and is likely a healthier prospect than KB. I love KB as much as anyone and he is certainly one of the only WR in this league where you can say throw a jump ball and he’ll get it. But by the same token that is the only thing he really excels at, albeit really well. 

I miss what KB provides but I see the vision behind trading him. WR was not a problem post KB until we lost Samuel and then Byrd for the season. In fact I’d argue it was an asset.

There was still no justification to trade him.  I'm not buy what you guys are trying to sell.  He was misused plan and simple, like most of the offense.  The correct thing to do to fix the offense didn't get fixed until the season was over.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

There was still no justification to trade him.  I'm not buy what you guys are trying to sell.  He was misused plan and simple, like most of the offense.  The correct thing to do to fix the offense didn't get fixed until the season was over.

Well i agree with you in some sense that the logic the FO used was weak. A better OC would have made KB and Funchess monsters together. But this is what we’re working with and you can’t argue that it didn’t work because the offense did improve, with rookies and UDFAs.  And there maybe some truth to Cam locking onto KB because he was his guy.

Sometimes the answer isn’t the best case scenario. Because ideally KB is still on this team with 16 TDs in the red zone and Funchess is a borderline 1000 WR with Samuel and Byrd at least racking up 500 yds a piece.

17 minutes ago, Lumps said:

This team didn’t need a ‘#1 receiver’. Cam does better without main targets (see KB, Smitty vs. 2015) who he feels presssure to feed the ball. Olsen I feel is different due to being a TE and can’t run outside/speed routes, Greg knows more is needed. The Panthers need a clutch vet who can get separation quickly and catch anything and everything, basically a clutch route runner. Next, they need a speed guy, simply someone to stretch the field. These are role players, not necessarily #1s, and that is the type of cast Cam seems to do best with.

CMC should be a clutch/slot/backfield guy and I’m still not sure what role Samuel will have as he seems right now to be a lesser CMC but more play is needed.

I can't say that as 2011 and 2012 Cam passed for 4,000 yards with Steve going for 1,000+. The problem I believe was Shula. Although I believe Norv can make Cam a better QB, I'm very skeptical what he run offensively in 2018 will be a huge success. I look at the Eagles lose their QB this year and still win the SB. I look at the Falcons last year, which you can see an obvious difference from when Shanahan was there. We need that.

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think it got drowned out by those who changed their opinion after our offense briefly improved following the trade. Honestly, had everyone remained healthy the trade may have worked out. The offense certainly looked better than I expected it to after the trade. But ultimately, my fears were confirmed. I was against the trade because we were already very shallow at WR. Samuel was progressing slowly (which was honestly expected for a raw prospect who missed virtually the entire offseason) and Shepard was proving to be a complete bust of a FA signing. I didn't think we could afford to trade our only proven NFL WR. In hindsight, maybe we could've IF everyone would've stayed healthy. But, they didn't. That move left an already thin WR corps dangerously reliant on everyone staying healthy. We couldn't afford the slightest hiccup and then Samuel rekt his ankle, Byrd got hurt, Funchess got banged up. Murphy's Law bit us in the ass big time.

Exactly, it wasn't thought through very well and wreaked of desperation, if not incompetence.  My inner conspiracy theorist tends to think Beane fleeced Hurney.

6 minutes ago, beastson said:

I can't say that as 2011 and 2012 Cam passed for 4,000 yards with Steve going for 1,000+. The problem I believe was Shula. Although I believe Norv can make Cam a better QB, I'm very skeptical what he run offensively in 2018 will be a huge success. I look at the Eagles lose their QB this year and still win the SB. I look at the Falcons last year, which you can see an obvious difference from when Shanahan was there. We need that.

I think the thing with the Eagles is that Foles is actually a great QB. He had down turn but he is a legit QB. That’s why that offense was still dangerous without Wentz.

I think Foles is a system QB, not a great QB. The Eagles have a fantastic offensive system and their pass protection was nearly perfect. When the Eagles inevitably trade him this offseason to a struggling franchise he'll probably flop again. If anything, Foles' success makes me wonder about Wentz. Is he a product of the system as well? Hell, for that matter, what about Tom Brady? Every time he's gotten hurt his backup has looked really damn good.

5 hours ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

Calvin Ridley if not the need of a 2nd TE is more important.

I would prefer Mike Gesicki over Hayden Hurst. Bring in the replacement for Norwell and/or Kalil early to keep the OL strong, then worry about Greg's heir.

28 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I think Foles is a system QB, not a great QB. The Eagles have a fantastic offensive system and their pass protection was nearly perfect. When the Eagles inevitably trade him this offseason to a struggling franchise he'll probably flop again. If anything, Foles' success makes me wonder about Wentz. Is he a product of the system as well? Hell, for that matter, what about Tom Brady? Every time he's gotten hurt his backup has looked really damn good.

You bring up a valid argument. Which is why My favorite QBs are guys like Brett Favre and Cam Newton.

1 minute ago, OneBadCat said:

You bring up a valid argument. Which is why My favorite QBs are guys like Brett Favre and Cam Newton.

Favre is my favorite non-Panther. Gotta be about the most entertaining player to ever play the game. If Favre was on the field, it wasn't gonna be boring. SOMETHING entertaining was gonna happen be it awesome or horrible.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Favre is my favorite non-Panther. Gotta be about the most entertaining player to ever play the game. If Favre was on the field, it wasn't gonna be boring. SOMETHING entertaining was gonna happen be it awesome or horrible.

Thing is. Favre may not be the most polished QB all time. But if I had to take a QB for one game vs Brady, Rodgers,  or Manning he would be my guy. 

15 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Wentz has all the tools, but is playing behind one of the very best O lines in the NFL, and in one of the friendliest offenses in the NFL.

He likely is good, but not as good as he looks out there.  Think McNabb.

Archived