• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Curtis Samuel will likely miss OTAs

Jeremy Igo

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I hated the KB trade BTW. Are you trying to say that if we get one pro bowler that cam is going to go back in to focusing on that one guy? we also have olsen and he now recognizes if the read isn't there , he has CMC. We need a playmaker for deep balls. This team has severely lacked deep balls the past three years.

I'm not saying anything.  I'm trying to resolve the notion that the team didn't need a number one wr so they traded him and a large segment on here thought is was a great idea.  Now those same folks a screaming for a number one wr.  And please spare me the dumb "they had to to make the offense better" bs because it defeats the argument for another wr.  So which is it, do they need a number one or not and if so why did they trade the one they had?

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

I'm not saying anything.  I'm trying to resolve the notion that the team didn't need a number one wr so they traded him and a large segment on here thought is was a great idea.  Now those same folks a screaming for a number one wr.  And please spare me the dumb "they had to to make the offense better" bs because it defeats the argument for another wr.  So which is it, do they need a number one or not and if so why did they trade the one they had?

KB was never a number 1.

7 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I don't buy into this "#1 WR" stuff. According to the majority of the Huddle, there are probably only a handful of true #1 WRs in the entire NFL. I don't care if we have a WR getting 1300+ yards a season. Just give me another legit starter via FA to pair with Funchess and then let Samuel, Byrd, Clay, and maybe another draft pick fight it out to fill out the rest of the depth chart at WR. Send Shepard's ass packing.

3 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

Thats fine with me

obviously I want him out there.. but I want beyond a shadow of a doubt the he is 100% healed even more

I have a great feeling about Samuel. Even if he has a ceiling of Percy Harvin, Sign me up. 

Elite speed

Samuel has some serious skills. As does Byrd. But we’re all nervous because they both got injured. We just need to sign a legit WR to pair with Funchess regardless of the two guys we all really want to work out. Tired of putting Cam in a position where he had to make up for so many roster flaws.

This team didn’t need a ‘#1 receiver’. Cam does better without main targets (see KB, Smitty vs. 2015) who he feels presssure to feed the ball. Olsen I feel is different due to being a TE and can’t run outside/speed routes, Greg knows more is needed. The Panthers need a clutch vet who can get separation quickly and catch anything and everything, basically a clutch route runner. Next, they need a speed guy, simply someone to stretch the field. These are role players, not necessarily #1s, and that is the type of cast Cam seems to do best with.

CMC should be a clutch/slot/backfield guy and I’m still not sure what role Samuel will have as he seems right now to be a lesser CMC but more play is needed.

Just now, OneBadCat said:

Samuel has some serious skills. As does Byrd. But we’re all nervous because they both got injured. We just need to sign a legit WR to pair with Funchess regardless of the two guys we all really want to work out. Tired of putting Cam in a position where he had to make up for so many roster flaws.

I think Samuel can be a legit #2 for us..

But I want 2 #2 WRs.  Go get a vet FA, and draft a rookie in the mid rounds

go get a safety, DE, or a CB up high

I like Cams options right now

11 minutes ago, KillerKat said:

KB was never a number 1.

So what was he then?

6 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't buy into this "#1 WR" stuff. According to the majority of the Huddle, there are probably only a handful of true #1 WRs in the entire NFL. I don't care if we have a WR getting 1300+ yards a season. Just give me another legit starter via FA to pair with Funchess and then let Samuel, Byrd, Clay, and maybe another draft pick fight it out to fill out the rest of the depth chart at WR. Send Shepard's ass packing.

Was KB not a legit starter?

4 hours ago, bewonee said:

No thank you we have bigger needs.

As much as I would cum myself if he fell to us, unless a snowflake can stick to the ground in the middle of hell, he is not coming close to #24. He is a top 5-15 for sure. Ronnie Harrison.. on the other hand...

I'd be alright with Harrison too. I'm hoping that James' past ACL injury will knock him down some boards though I do expect him to workout well and his interviews will likely be top notch as well. You're probably right though, he's probably gone in the 1st 15 picks.

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

So what was he then?

Was KB not a legit starter?

Yes. Like I said before when you first made your comment, I was never on board with trading KB during the season. I think you're totally mis-remembering the situation. This board was by and large completely up in arms about that trade when it was made. The majority here hated the move.

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I think the reality though is that Funchess is a better WR than Kelvin Benjamin. Devin has the same elements of KB but he’s also faster, a better route runner, better body control and is likely a healthier prospect than KB. I love KB as much as anyone and he is certainly one of the only WR in this league where you can say throw a jump ball and he’ll get it. But by the same token that is the only thing he really excels at, albeit really well. 

I miss what KB provides but I see the vision behind trading him. WR was not a problem post KB until we lost Samuel and then Byrd for the season. In fact I’d argue it was an asset.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Yes. Like I said before when you first made your comment, I was never on board with trading KB during the season. I think you're totally mis-remembering the situation. This board was by and large completely up in arms about that trade when it was made. The majority here hated the move.

Maybe it got drowned out by those thinking Hurney made a great move or by the ones saying it had to happen for the offense to evolve or to stop Cam from forcing it to KB?  Or it was just the usual give Cam weapons crowd?  I can't keep up.

Just now, Jon Snow said:

Maybe it got drowned out by those thinking Hurney made a great move or by the ones saying it had to happen for the offense to evolve or to stop Cam from forcing it to KB?  Or it was just the usual give Cam weapons crowd?  I can't keep up.

I think it got drowned out by those who changed their opinion after our offense briefly improved following the trade. Honestly, had everyone remained healthy the trade may have worked out. The offense certainly looked better than I expected it to after the trade. But ultimately, my fears were confirmed. I was against the trade because we were already very shallow at WR. Samuel was progressing slowly (which was honestly expected for a raw prospect who missed virtually the entire offseason) and Shepard was proving to be a complete bust of a FA signing. I didn't think we could afford to trade our only proven NFL WR. In hindsight, maybe we could've IF everyone would've stayed healthy. But, they didn't. That move left an already thin WR corps dangerously reliant on everyone staying healthy. We couldn't afford the slightest hiccup and then Samuel rekt his ankle, Byrd got hurt, Funchess got banged up. Murphy's Law bit us in the ass big time.

Archived