• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How important is upgrading the backup QB position?

Jeremy Igo

3 hours ago, thomas96 said:

Kaepernick is a terrible QB and a distraction. It's not happening, and I'm not sure why anyone would want that to happen.

If Kaepernick is a "terrible" QB,  then you have a bunch of "terrible" QBs in the league.  There were backups and starters in this league for the last couple of seasons who were far worse than Kap from a statistical standpoint.  Moreover,  it's funny how Kap didn't look so bad under the tutelage of Harbaugh.  He almost guided the 49ers to a championship.  I'm not accepting a narrative on Kap which is based in reasons that really don't have anything to do with football and are more about simple hate.  I reject it. 

3 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Cam has been remarkably durable in his career and we just have to hope that trend continues.

I'd say Cam is remarkably durable for the amount of abuse he endures every season.  I wouldn't count on that to continue in the coming years.  His injuries these last two seasons have definitely impacted his play.  History being any indicator, QBs that sustain the kind of hits Cam has been taking don't tend to last beyond their early 30's.  Maybe Turner can figure out a way to help protect Cam better than Shula?

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

If Kaepernick is a "terrible" QB,  then you have a bunch of "terrible" QBs in the league.  There were backups and starters in this league for the last couple of seasons who were far worse than Kap from a statistical standpoint.  Moreover,  it's funny how Kap didn't look so bad under the tutelage of Harbaugh.  He almost guided the 49ers to a championship.  I'm not accepting a narrative on Kap which is based in reasons that really don't have anything to do with football and are more about simple hate.  I reject it. 

There actually are a lot of terrible quarterbacks in the league, and not all of them are backups. The overall quality of quarterback play is nowhere near what it used to be.

But sorry dude, Kaepernick is one of them.

Harbaugh brilliantly schemed around his deficiencies, but if you have to do that to make your quarterback effective, he's not really that good (see also: Foles, Nick)

So unless we're hiring Jim Harbaugh as offensive coordinator or head coach next year, Kaepernick isn't a good idea.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

There actually are a lot of terrible quarterbacks in the league, and not all of them are backups. The overall quality of quarterback play is nowhere near what it used to be.

But sorry dude, Kaepernick is one of them.

Harbaugh brilliantly schemed around his deficiencies, but if you have to do that to make your quarterback effective, he's not really that good (see also: Foles, Nick)

So unless we're hiring Jim Harbaugh as offensive coordinator or head coach next year, Kaepernick isn't a good idea.

Kaepernick would be fine as a backup, better than Anderson or half the league.  

45 minutes ago, top dawg said:

There have been plenty of QBs who look good for an extremely short period of time and can't sustain it. Kaepernick's last year with Harbaugh he was terrible, and his next two years with Tomsula and Kelly were even worse. He looked decent for a little over a season (end of 2012 and 2013) but since then has been straight up terrible. And yes there are plenty of terrible QBs in the league. The difference between them is they aren't distractions like Kaepernick is. You absolutely don't want your backup QB being a distraction. And regardless DA is better than him and would cost less so that aside, it would still be stupid.

32 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Kaepernick would be fine as a backup, better than Anderson or half the league.  

Anderson used to be good, but not anymore.

And I actually think Kaepernick would be a backup somewhere if it weren't for the political stuff (not here; Rivera doesn't like players being controversial) but teams will only accept distractions if you're good enough to be a quality starter.  Backups need not apply. 

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Anderson used to be good, but not anymore.

And I actually think Kaepernick would be a backup somewhere if it weren't for the political stuff (not here; Rivera doesn't like players being controversial) but teams will only accept distractions if you're good enough to be a quality starter.  Backups need not apply. 

Yeah, not even sure at this point if there are more than a handful of teams who could make Kap their backup without dealing with a rash of poo from their fanbase.  

Just isn't worth the distraction, definitely wouldn't play out well in Carolina.

Just now, NanuqoftheNorth said:

Yeah, not even sure at this point if there are more than a handful of teams who could make Kap their backup without dealing with a rash of poo from their fanbase.  

Just isn't worth the distraction, definitely wouldn't play out well in Carolina.

Sure as hell ain't happnin in Miami.

Archived