• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How important is upgrading the backup QB position?

Jeremy Igo

It’s important because it’s obvious Anderson is past his prime and was never that great to begin with. Who they get as a new backup is where the debate lies. I wouldn’t be against a 4th round QB and a younger vet QB battling it out for the backup spot in training camp

4 minutes ago, PanthersBigD said:

If we had a GM with a decent eye for talent after the first round,

This is what I have been saying--after round 1, when he drafts "safe" positions like LB and RB (5 times), he sucks.  Sports reporter with no eye for talent.  The one time he did not have the coach in his ear on draft day (when Fox was a lame duck)?  Clausen, Lafell, Armanti Edwards, Norwood...

This will not go over too well, but it is a business....

Cam is in the second contract, one that will expire when he is 31. Cam has been taking a beating for years and his running is the only way he gets away with his completion percentage.  Will he be worth a third contract at 31? 

I think a smart GM would consider a QB in the middle rounds--heck, there are as many middle rounders starting for teams in the NFL  as there are first rounders.  Of course, finding them is the hard part.  This draft has some talent in the middle. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

I agree.

But I'd ask you the same question I asked Igo above. If Rudolph or one of the other top guys fell to 24, would you pull the trigger?

We certainly have bigger needs, but look at what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers. Would you pass on having an Aaron Rodgers type situation?

Favre was a few months from 36 when they took Rodgers... Cam isn't even 29 yet... Not even close to comparable situations. Absolutely zero chance I'd use our first on a QB we keep this year. If someone falls there and we take him and trade him for better, or just trade the pick, that's one thing. But no chance I hinder our ability to win with Cam healthy by wasting a first on what will be a backup QB.

4 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair, but how do all the teams that passed on Aaron Rodgers look right now?

Newton can't play forever. Down  the road, would you wanna be one of those teams watching the guy you passed on turn into the best quarterback in the NFL?

It'd be much better to be in that situation than drafting the QB there and never using him before he walks in free agency 5 years later instead of drafting a player who can contribute.

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

Kaepernick would be an awesome back-up to have if Cam were to go down. 

Kaepernick is a terrible QB and a distraction. It's not happening, and I'm not sure why anyone would want that to happen.

2 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

It'd be much better to be in that situation than drafting the QB there and never using him before he walks in free agency 5 years later instead of drafting a player who can contribute.

Some teams use those QBs for draft capital, Heck, how many backups have the Patriots traded?

(not that I can see Marty Hurney doing that)

It'd be nice, but it's not a top priority IMO. I'd much rather see WR, CB, and S get upgrades, hopefully find Kalil's successor at C, add young DE talent, and upgrade the #2 TE spot, and find a young power back. So, I guess I'd put the backup QB spot at priority #8. All things considered, Cam has been remarkably durable in his career and we just have to hope that trend continues. I would only want to use one of those 3rds on a QB if we felt very confident that we'd be able to showcase the guy in preseason and turn around and flip him for a 1st or 2nd after a year or two.

Just now, Mr. Scot said:

Some teams use those QBs for draft capital, Heck, how many backups have the Patriots traded?

(not that I can see Marty Hurney doing that)

No team has done that with a first rounder. And all those backups the Pats traded yielded the same round pick they used on the QB just later on or less than that round. They would've been better off using those picks on defensive help.

Archived