• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How important is upgrading the backup QB position?

Jeremy Igo

47 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I would not mind using the extra 3rd rounder on a QB this year. Thats a cheap 4 year backup and possible replacement evenutally. 

Agree with this for sure but we'd have to put some serious effort into scouting a backup and then coaching and developing him. Otherwise we'll just wind up with a rookie Derek Anderson...

35 minutes ago, Woodie said:

Against 3rd-4th stringers.  We have no idea if he can play against actual NFL talent.  Giving him an opportunity is fine, putting all of our eggs in the Gilbert basket is not.

That was all the competition he was given at the time.   You can only play where they put you.

30 minutes ago, Woodie said:

I liked him, but I think Mike White from Western Kentucky is better and has more starting potential.  I would be fine with either competing with Gilbert for the backup job. 

You want to give this guy more of a lookover than Gilbert?   Kind of a double standard wouldn't ya think.

Gilbert was against NFL backups...  After all Western Kentucky comes from that PowerHouse Conference and made All Redneck 1st team.

As much as last night looks like an abject lesson in getting a good back-up, the fact is that it's mighty darned hard to find a good starting QB in this league, much less two of them. The Eagles got lucky in having two starting quality QBs, one of which they drafted, the other was a holdover (and a trade guy before) from the previous regime that had good work on the field and plenty of tread left on the tires.

In our situation, yeah, DA is more a worry than the security blanket he once was. Gilbert might be a good choice, and I hope our new OC can bring him up to par, just in case. 

But when it comes to getting a good back up QB, we've got to many 1st stringer questions to answer before we drop a top three rounds draft pick or decent contract money on one.

37 minutes ago, Woodie said:

I liked him, but I think Mike White from Western Kentucky is better and has more starting potential.  I would be fine with either competing with Gilbert for the backup job. 

I liked him too.

The guy from Richmond will probably be drafted higher though.

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

You want to give this guy more of a lookover than Gilbert?   Kind of a double standard wouldn't ya think.

Gilbert was against NFL backups...  After all Western Kentucky comes from that PowerHouse Conference and made All Redneck 1st team.

White looked pretty good in the Senior Bowl.

59 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

I would not mind using the extra 3rd rounder on a QB this year. Thats a cheap 4 year backup and possible replacement evenutally. 

I've seen some mocks (and granted, it's way early for those) that have Mason Rudolph dropping past number 24.

If he or someone like him drops to our spot, do you take them?

1 hour ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

That was all the competition he was given at the time.   You can only play where they put you.

Yes, you can only play against who they put you against.  However, he has not shown he is a capable backup in the NFL as of yet.  I didn't say he can't be, just that he hasn't shown it against guys that actually play on Sundays yet.  The guys he played against, for the most part, are no longer even in the league.  That's why you can't just hand the keys to the backup job over to him.  He needs to earn it against actual NFL talent first.

What double standard?  I said draft a guy and have him compete with Gilbert.  Let the guy who earns it be the backup.  Don't see where you get a double standard out of that, but ok.  

And why the insult to WKU?  If he's better than Gilbert, wouldn't you rather have him as the primary backup?  If not, then Gilbert should have a spot over him.  Don't see the problem, or any reason for hostility.    

1 minute ago, Woodie said:

Maybe, based on what I saw, I'd be fine with either.

I agree.

But I'd ask you the same question I asked Igo above. If Rudolph or one of the other top guys fell to 24, would you pull the trigger?

We certainly have bigger needs, but look at what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers. Would you pass on having an Aaron Rodgers type situation?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

I agree.

But I'd ask you the same question I asked Igo above. If Rudolph or one of the other top guys fell to 24, would you pull the trigger?

We certainly have bigger needs, but look at what Green Bay did with Aaron Rodgers. Would you pass on having an Aaron Rodgers type situation?

That's a tough one.  Look to the future, or build for the present?

Most likely, the team would fill an immediate need since everyone's job is uncertain with new ownership on the way.  Their best hope of keeping their jobs is to win big now, and you don't do that looking towards the future.  So, I don't think Hurney nor Rivera would want to bring in a QB of the future/future trade chip for the next regime. 

Personally, it would depend on who is available.  If no difference makers are available, and a QB with a bright future is there, I would definitely have to consider it.  However, I believe this team is not too far away from competing for a SB, so I would probably go for immediate help.

2 minutes ago, Woodie said:

That's a tough one.  Look to the future, or build for the present?

Most likely, the team would fill an immediate need since everyone's job is uncertain with new ownership on the way.  Their best hope of keeping their jobs is to win big now, and you don't do that looking towards the future.  So, I don't think Hurney nor Rivera would want to bring in a QB of the future/future trade chip for the next regime. 

Personally, it would depend on who is available.  If no difference makers are available, and a QB with a bright future is there, I would definitely have to consider it.  However, I believe this team is not too far away from competing for a SB, so I would probably go for immediate help.

Fair, but how do all the teams that passed on Aaron Rodgers look right now?

Newton can't play forever. Down  the road, would you wanna be one of those teams watching the guy you passed on turn into the best quarterback in the NFL?

14 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Fair, but how do all the teams that passed on Aaron Rodgers look right now?

Newton can't play forever. Down  the road, would you wanna be one of those teams watching the guy you passed on turn into the best quarterback in the NFL?

That's the dilemma.  Nobody wants to see a player they passed on, like Rodgers, become one of the best, but are you willing to sacrifice a key piece for the present to take him?  I guess it depends on how complete you feel your team is and how high you feel the QB's ceiling is.  Right now we have a team with pieces on both sides of the ball, but we also have some important holes that we need to fill if we want to make a serious run.  And with everyone's job security being the wildcard, I just can't see the team passing on a position of need...of course FA could definitely change that.

My question is, are there any QB's that look to have a high enough ceiling to risk passing on an immediate need?  I've heard some that believe in Mason Rudolph, but others that don't think he'll amount to much more than a solid backup.  So, I guess it depends on your scouting of the QB.  We do find ourselves in the great position of not needing a QB to come in and start now.  So, if a guy has all the tools, but just needs to develop a bit (like Rodgers when he was drafted), this could be the perfect spot.  Let him develop as Cam plays out his contract, then make a decision on whether to move on from Cam, or stick with him and use the other guy as trade bait. 

1 minute ago, Woodie said:

That's the dilemma.  Nobody wants to see a player they passed on, like Rodgers, become one of the best, but are you willing to sacrifice a key piece for the present to take him?  I guess it depends on how complete you feel your team is and how high you feel the QB's ceiling is.  Right now we have a team with pieces on both sides of the ball, but we also have some important holes that we need to fill if we want to make a serious run.  And with everyone's job security being the wildcard, I just can't see the team passing on a position of need...of course FA could definitely change that.

My question is, are there any QB's that look to have a high enough ceiling to risk passing on an immediate need?  I've heard some that believe in Mason Rudolph, but others that don't think he'll amount to much more than a solid backup.  So, I guess it depends on your scouting of the QB.  We do find ourselves in the great position of not needing a QB to come in and start now.  So, if a guy has all the tools, but just needs to develop a bit (like Rodgers when he was drafted), this could be the perfect spot.  Let him develop as Cam plays out his contract, then make a decision on whether to move on from Cam, or stick with him and use the other guy as trade bait. 

One scout (I think it was Gil Brandt but don't quote me on that) said Rudolph has the best deep ball of any of the current crop.

To be honest though, Marty Hurney has never really been a "plan for the future" guy. And since I expect him to be running the upcoming draft, this discussion is probably moot even if those circumstances do occur.

Archived