• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How important is upgrading the backup QB position?

Jeremy Igo

13 minutes ago, JakeDel5674 said:

It's much easier to do in Philly's case because Wentz is still on his Rookie deal. That's why they were able to do it. We can't do it, because we're paying Cam a boatload of money (which is deserved). 

I would not mind using the extra 3rd rounder on a QB this year. Thats a cheap 4 year backup and possible replacement evenutally. 

Just now, Jeremy Igo said:

I would not mind using the extra 3rd rounder on a QB this year. Thats a cheap 4 year backup and possible replacement evenutally. 

Well yeah, of course. Because Derek Anderson is hot garbage right now. That would be the only way we could upgrade our backup QB position. We can't spend money on it, because, well, we don't have the money. 

7 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

WE should be doing it anyway as we can trade the QB is his value goes up to a 1st round pick and such too. Teams with QBs should always be drafting later round picks to develope and trade for value later anyway.

The Eagles signing Foles back paid off big time, and nobody here expects DA to keep the ship going if Cam were to ever miss significant time. I’d be ok looking at QBs with one of the 3rd round picks. So many teams needing to sign a quarterback this offseason makes me think guys like Bradford, Bridgewater, etc. are going to be looking for opportunities to start but, regardless, we have to move on from Anderson. 

5 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

Now I thought Garrett Gilbert played pretty well last preseason.    Shouldn't he be given the opportunity to win the backup.   I get bringing in someone else but if I recall properly Gilbert seemed to have played well enough for us to keep him in the PS.

Against 3rd-4th stringers.  We have no idea if he can play against actual NFL talent.  Giving him an opportunity is fine, putting all of our eggs in the Gilbert basket is not.

13 minutes ago, Murph said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the panthers take a qb with one of there third round picks . 

That guy from Richmond who shined in the senior bowl comes to mind. 

I liked him, but I think Mike White from Western Kentucky is better and has more starting potential.  I would be fine with either competing with Gilbert for the backup job. 

I could see picking somebody up though I'd really like to see what Gilbert can do against the 2nd string during next preseason and maybe even sneak some time in against the starters if we can. Of course that is once Cam has gotten his work in and worked out the rust that comes from the off season.

No brainer at this point. Not saying we should use a first on a  guy, but keep in mind that the Packers picked Rodgers when they still had a healthy Favre to rely on, and let him sit his first few years to learn. I still think that's the right way to draft a QB, even in this instant gratification society we live in today.

As for Gilbert, maybe I don't remember as well as some of you folks ( I blame age ), but he never really looked all that sharp to me. It's why he lost the 3rd string job to Joe Webb, and before anyone says, but he was also a STs player, it should be telling that once Webb was terminated, we still didn't bring the kid up from the practice squad for another month afterwards.

So, yeah, we need to draft an up and comer as a replacement / backup for Cam, because we never truly know what will happen 3-4 years down the road.

Archived