• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers didn't even contact Ryan Cowden

Jeremy Igo

5 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well actually they could be painting themselves into a corner by picking Marty now.  It's not necessarily a good look. But,  in this day and time,  who really gives a fug,  right? perhaps ol' man Jer knows exactly what message he's sending.   I'm sure @AggieLean knows what I'm saying. 

I don't think they have enough self-awareness to understand just how bad this could make them look.

You bring in three candidates, all with better qualifications than Marty Hurney, but you think you can hire Marty Hurney over those guys and everybody will give you credit for just giving them the opportunity to interview...

Lord, the people running this team are so stupid.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

You must have forgotten how much damage Hurney can do to a cap situation and blindingly fast.

Eh, I think that was blown a bit out of proportion. I don't recall that getting too out of hand until towards the end of his tenure last time. Unfortunately none of our recent GM's have been extremely cap savvy so it'll just be more of the same for a bit longer.

Just now, The Natural said:

Eh, I think that was blown a bit out of proportion. I don't recall that getting too out of hand until towards the end of his tenure last time. Unfortunately none of our recent GM's have been extremely cap savvy so it'll just be more of the same for a bit longer.

Because Hurney has a very nasty habit of restructuring contracts converting salary to bonus. That allows him to spread the cap hit out over the course of the contract giving more short term cap flexibility at the massive cost of greatly decreasing long term cap flexibility. Those chickens always come home to rooost.

8 minutes ago, The Natural said:

He'll be gone a season or two after new ownership takes over and if he's not that means he's doing a good job. Win/win situation. 

And by that time the damage is already done.  There is no logical explanation for bringing Hurney back and watching you guys try to spin it as a positive is confounding to me.

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If it's what I feared from the beginning and this is JR acting through a Tina Becker puppet to orchestrate one last payday for his buddy Marty, none of that matters. The Rooney Rule has clearly been fulfilled. That box is checked.

Oh,  this will go beyond the Rooney rule.  Scot seems to realize what I'm talking about. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Oh,  this will go beyond the Rooney rule.  Scot seems to realize what I'm talking about. 

Sure, it makes them look bad but JR is getting ready to sell the team for billions. The front office is going to get gutted. Hell, it's already been gutted by the Bills. The folks left really don't have any other options anyway. Point is, there's no front office personnel left in the building who give a flying fug about looking bad. 

1 minute ago, Eazy-E said:

Until the sale is final JR is still signing the checks. The worst part is JR still has a say in who he sells the team to. You really think he will agree to sell the team to a group who wants to come in and make changes?

JR is going to sell to the highest bidder.  That's how these things always go. 

Just now, jasonluckydog said:

If you did a secret poll most Panther fans want to keep Hurney..in public they hate him but secretly love him sort of like Donald Trump 

Most Panthers fan know very little about football and definitely don't know anything about the inner workings of a team either.   The same with politics.

Archived