• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil To Retire in 2018

The_Cannon

35 minutes ago, cheynehowell said:

Kalil saying he is going to retire after next year is a business move. He does not want the Panthers to cut him and wants to collect that 9+mill pulling the sentimental card. I love all that Kalil has done for us but 9 mill for a center that has been hurt injured for 2 years plus is too damn much. Hurney needs to show he has changed and get a restructure or cut him

What you're saying may sound harsh, but I agree with you 100%. There's no way I'm paying Ryan Kalil 9 million next year with his recent injury history and the holes on our team. I would cut the cap figure by 50% and throw in some incentives based on playing time. If he balked at a pay cut I'd have to release him and let him test the market.

1 hour ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

I doubt that. That neck injury probably scared him and made him realize he better go out now that he's healthy and get into the production business full time. 

Love Ryan Kalil 

If he felt that way, he’d retire now. Ur love for Kalil is the same reason Marty Hurney got fired the first time. Gotta separate emotion and business...they never go hand in hand 

Kalil almost certainly talked to the Panthers about their plans for him before making this decision.  If there was any chance they were going to cut him now, he would most likely have retired immediately.  He's actually doing the team a favor by giving them time to get his replacement in and trained before he's gone.   

I would be happy with Price in the first honestly....kills two birds. However, I'm also very intrigued by Brian Allen out of Michigan State on day 3. I'm also curious if UGA's Isaiah Wynn can play center. They say he's too undersized to play tackle and should move inside..... which probably means guard, though I have seen some spots list him as a G/C, so maybe him too.

12 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

I would be happy with Price in the first honestly....kills two birds. However, I'm also very intrigued by Brian Allen out of Michigan State on day 3. I'm also curious if UGA's Isaiah Wynn can play center. They say he's too undersized to play tackle and should move inside..... which probably means guard, though I have seen some spots list him as a G/C, so maybe him too.

Wynn is one of the most underappreciated guys this draft cycle. He's a player and showed out again at the senior bowl all week. Guy should be considered a top 70 guy in this draft dependung on if you think he is just a OG or can continue to man OT.

Ryan will be missed. Really need to find another guy asap AT C. Larson is a hangman level backup/below average started. RK is a top 3/4 in the league and when healthy where his line calls and play really helped this squad run again. Think we really need to load up on both DE and OL this year. 

Think of it this way: other than Turner (good, but marginally worth the contract this year), MK (OVER PAID WASTE), we have no starters now signed for 2019.......... So really 1 guy we can count on in 2019. DW, AN are gonna get paid either here or likely elsewhere. So reality is we need 3 guys if Motown is for real or 2 if we keep AN or DW.

IMO we need 2 guys that can start year 2, hell 1 starter this year from FA(could be AN) and the draft.

DE, we have 1 guy in Addison who isn't a spring chicken, so again, need 1 if hall pans out, or 2 if he isn't  ready for rotation next year and going forward.

22 hours ago, Woodie said:

Kalil almost certainly talked to the Panthers about their plans for him before making this decision.  If there was any chance they were going to cut him now, he would most likely have retired immediately.  He's actually doing the team a favor by giving them time to get his replacement in and trained before he's gone.   

So your totally on board with giving a past their prime center 9m to play a send off season with wr depth of a d2 college team ???

44 minutes ago, cheynehowell said:

So your totally on board with giving a past their prime center 9m to play a send off season with wr depth of a d2 college team ???

Huh?  You got that out of what I sad?  Do yourself a favor, don't read between the lines, you're not very good at it, lol.  

No, I was just stating that he most likely had assurances from the Panthers that they were not cutting him, and he let them know that he will be retiring after the season, which will allow them to start planning for his departure early.

50 minutes ago, cheynehowell said:

.So your totally on board with giving a past their prime center 9m to play a send off season with wr depth of a d2 college team ?

As to the point, it's not really about whether or not Kalil is past his prime, he's still the best center we have on the roster...by a pretty significant margin.  I'm hoping we get his replacement in the draft, but we are not the only center-needy team out there, so finding a competent one is no guarantee. 

And as much as we all like to say the offense runs through the QB, it's really the center that drives everything.  Not only are they responsible for the line calls (which hurt us badly while he was out), but the center/QB exchange can be the difference in a game if you don't have a center able to flawlessly make that exchange.  So, before dropping him, even for the needed cap space, I would like to know we at least have a competent replacement on hand...which we currently do not, IMO.

6 hours ago, Woodie said:

As to the point, it's not really about whether or not Kalil is past his prime, he's still the best center we have on the roster...by a pretty significant margin.  I'm hoping we get his replacement in the draft, but we are not the only center-needy team out there, so finding a competent one is no guarantee. 

And as much as we all like to say the offense runs through the QB, it's really the center that drives everything.  Not only are they responsible for the line calls (which hurt us badly while he was out), but the center/QB exchange can be the difference in a game if you don't have a center able to flawlessly make that exchange.  So, before dropping him, even for the needed cap space, I would like to know we at least have a competent replacement on hand...which we currently do not, IMO.

With all that said he has still only played in a handful of games the last 2 seasons, thats not worth 9 million for one more season. Larsen is good enough to where he wont be a liability. 

6 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

With all that said he has still only played in a handful of games the last 2 seasons, thats not worth 9 million for one more season. Larsen is good enough to where he wont be a liability. 

Personally, I want better than good enough. And that’s our conundrum. If we keep Kalil, we have to hope he stays healthy, otherwise it’s a waste of cap space and roster spot. However, if we let him go, our line wouldn’t be as good if we don’t have a replacement plan in place  

Regardless, I think the team plans on holding onto him this year, and letting him retire on his terms at the end of the season. Most likely, the only thing that could change that is if there is a quick ownership change and a new GM is hired that wants to move on from him to save cap space. 

Archived