• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil To Retire in 2018

The_Cannon

6 minutes ago, Smithers said:

2018 should also be the last year for Matt Kalil, since our out is after that season.  

He'll definitely need to play better next year in order to justify 2019's $12.9M cap hit. He'll have to prove to be elite at the position in order to justify the $15.9M and $16.4M figures in 2020 and 2021. Honestly, I see little to no chance that he sees those contract years. 

As it currently sits, he'd carry the 7th highest LT cap hit in 2019, the 2nd highest LT cap hit in 2020, and the highest LT cap hit in 2021.

I could see us carrying him through 2019 if he shows next year that he can be above average. But '20 and '21? Not gonna happen. If anything, if we decide to keep him, that contract will be renegotiated and extended.

This news could impact the draft THIS year.  Nobody wants a rookie C.  Van Roten and Larsen are backups.  The C draft is pretty good this year.

AND if we let Norwell and Star walk for 3rd round comp picks, we will have 10 picks.  A center and a T to groom, perhaps.

58 minutes ago, Leeroy Jenkins Ph.D. said:

I love how both R Kalil and Charles Johnson are talking about retiring next year when their both very high on the list of players who can be cut to save us on cap space. 

CJ was a healthy  scratch in the playoffs---with Horton and Cox Jr dressing.  Don't sign a lease, 95!

5 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

This news could impact the draft THIS year.  Nobody wants a rookie C.  Van Roten and Larsen are backups.  The C draft is pretty good this year.

AND if we let Norwell and Star walk for 3rd round comp picks, we will have 10 picks.  A center and a T to groom, perhaps.

Yep, I'd fully support taking a center with one of our top 4 picks.

Honestly, in the ideal world, our first four picks would consist of WR, S, C, DE. I'd be willing to try to find a power back to pair with CMC in the later rounds. Also look to back fill at DT (if Star walks), OL (if Norwell walks), and LB. I wouldn't take CB out of consideration either, but I would want a clear upgrade over what we currently have not just another JAG to add to the mix of current JAGs.

1 hour ago, Thorrez said:

Not bashing him (love want he has done for us), but for $9.6M at a relatively cheap position he can be replaced

The thing is, our run game is much better with him in. Larsen is great but he's not a top-five center. It's a tough decision. 

10 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We wouldn't see the 3rd round comps until next year's draft

2 minutes ago, TN05 said:

The thing is, our run game is much better with him in. Larsen is great but he's not a top-five center. It's a tough decision. 

Larsen definitely isn't great. He's one of those good backup/marginal starter type guys. Definitely not the guy I'd like to see penciled in as Kalil's long-term replacement. Our running game minus Cam was virtually non-existent with Larcen at C.

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, I'd fully support taking a center with one of our top 4 picks.

Honestly, in the ideal world, our first four picks would consist of WR, S, C, DE. I'd be willing to try to find a power back to pair with CMC in the later rounds. Also look to back fill at DT (if Star walks), OL (if Norwell walks), and LB. I wouldn't take CB out of consideration either, but I would want a clear upgrade over what we currently have not just another JAG to add to the mix of current JAGs.

I think the draft is good for our needs.  Strong at DT, CB, WR (not really at the top, but it is deep), C, and RB.  I do not like the DEs in the draft or free agency (which is why Peppers must return and Hall had better be lifting weights) and I am not high on the Safeties in the draft (Worley to S, draft a CB). 

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I think the draft is good for our needs.  Strong at DT, CB, WR (not really at the top, but it is deep), C, and RB.  I do not like the DEs in the draft or free agency (which is why Peppers must return and Hall had better be lifting weights) and I am not high on the Safeties in the draft (Worley to S, draft a CB). 

Yeah, DE concerns me. It seems like it's getting harder and harder to find suitable 4-3 DE prospects. Seems like the vast majority of the edge rushers coming out of college these days fit better as 3-4 OLBs.

Wake's Duke Ejiofor is one of the few feasible DE prospects that intrigues me with one of top 4 picks but I'm not sure I'd take him in the 2nd and I'm not sure he'll be there in the 3rd. I think he'll likely end up being a late 2nd/early 3rd pick.

Archived