• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Golfer loses arm in gator attack

TerriblePizza

We were talking about this, this past weekend when I was out playing golf. You gotta be careful around water. I went hunting for a ball with my club, just beating down the grass around the edge of the water and caught a fuging red belly snake (poisonous btw).

P.S. Red bellies are not poisonous. What you saw was a red bellied water snake...people mistake them for water moccasins all the time.

P.S. Red bellies are not poisonous. What you saw was a red bellied water snake...people mistake them for water moccasins all the time.

Yeah, me and one of my buds were playing a little course just west of Wilmington last summer and he hit his ball in the woods (of course I never do that, but I digress :D)... we went over to look for it and he was stomping about in the woods and I said, "dude, get the hell out of there, you're gonna find a snake..." so he walks out of the woods and stops in the grass... I'm about 10' from him and right as I look towards him, I see him yell and jump about 3' in the air and run... there was a moccasin about 1' from his left foot... it was about 3.5' long and was coiled with it's mouth open like it was gonna strike... We were in the shadows and you literally couldn't see that damn thing unless you were right on top of it.

I was going to kill it with my driver, but the club seemed awfully short for that, so we got in the cart and left it alone.

this happened on the course behind my beach house. Guy who cut the arm out is a trim carpenter who has done some work for me on the island. He called the other day and said after he cut the arm out one of the first questions he was asked was "Was the golf ball still in his hand?"

Well that's good to know...a friend said it was poisonous. Either way it's resting on the bottom of the lake with shotgun pellets.

No problems mate.

I normally only kill the poisonous ones, and leave the others to take care of mice and frogs and things.

Yeah, me and one of my buds were playing a little course just west of Wilmington last summer and he hit his ball in the woods (of course I never do that, but I digress :D)... we went over to look for it and he was stomping about in the woods and I said, "dude, get the hell out of there, you're gonna find a snake..." so he walks out of the woods and stops in the grass... I'm about 10' from him and right as I look towards him, I see him yell and jump about 3' in the air and run... there was a moccasin about 1' from his left foot... it was about 3.5' long and was coiled with it's mouth open like it was gonna strike... We were in the shadows and you literally couldn't see that damn thing unless you were right on top of it.

I was going to kill it with my driver, but the club seemed awfully short for that, so we got in the cart and left it alone.

What course?

I have had this happen to me numerous times while playing.

Archived