• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fun little factoid when thinking about potential QB draft picks for the Panthers

Fiz

I need to go back and look at Flacco, Ryan and maybe Sanchez to see what stood out for them.

Flacco was a pure raw talent with the perfect height, size, and mechanics. The slight on him was that it was going to take a while or a coaching miracle to get him ready quickly. Well, he took over an offense with a good tight end and a good running game, has been hiding behind a mammoth offensive line and hasn't been touched, and that coaching miracle? John Harbaugh and Cam Cameron.

Ryan had good mechanics, small size, and a good head on his shoulder. He has a very low ceiling however, and is basically a poor man's tom brady. He can run that little offense mularkey has put together, but as soon as Turner finally goes down, everything is going to fall apart real quick. He threw a TON of interceptions in college, and everyone is just waiting for him to fall back into form.

Sanchez's numbers are terrible, he's looked completely bewildered at times, should have about 5 more interceptions (luck), and has completed less than half of his passes. The only reason people are freaking out about him is because he went to USC and plays in New York.

on the way home from the Wake game the guys I was with mentioned Bradford.

First thing I said was name the last OU qb to start in the NFL. crickets

Big 12 doesnt produce qb's.

I need to go back and look at Flacco, Ryan and maybe Sanchez to see what stood out for them.

Unless you are a total football nerd or from Delaware(me) I doubt Flacco was on your radar.

Flacco was on my Radar, I got to see him play in person (FCS National Championship vs. ASU). I thought he was going to be a project. I didnt think he would find success this early. But it goes to show you, if you give almost any QB the right recipe of running game and defense. He can make things happen.

I think Sam Bradford is the real deal, but we won't be in a position to get him.

Let the shoulda, woulda, coulda's begin:

6. San Francisco 49ers: Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma

(Pick acquired from Carolina) The 49ers whiffed on QB Alex Smith in '05 but take another chance on a QB with high pick, gambling that Bradford can be a durable NFL passer.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-10-13/mock-draft-sn-projects-2010s-top-nfl-picks

The other night on MNF they talked about Parcells formula for drafting a QB and his requirements were college graduate, more than 23 wins, 3 years as a starter (there may have been one or two more but can't recall). One who fit that was that LeFevour kid people talked about before this year. I haven't seen any of his games, has anyone else?

on the way home from the Wake game the guys I was with mentioned Bradford.

First thing I said was name the last OU qb to start in the NFL. crickets

Big 12 doesnt produce qb's.

Unless you are a total football nerd or from Delaware(me) I doubt Flacco was on your radar.

Or went to App State and saw them completely terrorize him for 4 quarters (me).

Truth is, most starting QBs in the NFL did not come from big programs. And other than Manning, none of the elite QBs in the NFL did either. Your argument about OU can be said for pretty much any team in the SEC as well. Doesn't make them bad conferences for QBs. Florida hasn't produced poo at the QB position in 20 years, and they're arguably the best program in the country.

Bradford and McCoy will be much better NFL QBs than either Snead (moron) or Clausen (soft).

Archived