• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Good torrent sites

natty

:D

ok so whats the diff between a torrent and a site like limewire or something...that give you a ton of virus

In simple terms a torrent is when a file is uploaded to the web and exploded into bunches of little pieces which are stored all around on people's computers. This group of files is called a swarm and to reassemble them all for download, a user uses a tracker. This finds each piece and rebuilds it (downloads). This makes for much better speeds and download rates.

A program like Kazaa, Limewire, etc is a Peer2Peer system. Basically, if you have a song I want, I have to contact directly to your computer and retrieve the file. Torrents are safer, to an extent, and harder for ISPs to track down. They are ideal for large files (such as software, movies, etc).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I would say download a very simple torrent client like Bitlord (google it) and then head to www.mininova.org and try it out. I like Mininova because it is actively policed by mods and admins so it is extremely rare to find fake files or viruses. If I had to resort to anything else, I'll hit up Demonoid and if I'm desperate I'll go to Isohunt.

In simple terms a torrent is when a file is uploaded to the web and exploded into bunches of little pieces which are stored all around on people's computers. This group of files is called a swarm and to reassemble them all for download, a user uses a tracker. This finds each piece and rebuilds it (downloads). This makes for much better speeds and download rates.

A program like Kazaa, Limewire, etc is a Peer2Peer system. Basically, if you have a song I want, I have to contact directly to your computer and retrieve the file. Torrents are safer, to an extent, and harder for ISPs to track down. They are ideal for large files (such as software, movies, etc).

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I would say download a very simple torrent client like Bitlord (google it) and then head to www.mininova.org and try it out. I like Mininova because it is actively policed by mods and admins so it is extremely rare to find fake files or viruses. If I had to resort to anything else, I'll hit up Demonoid and if I'm desperate I'll go to Isohunt.

thanks

Every single public torrent site is absolute dogpoo.

Every one.

want my advice? Find a private Romanian tracker. You'll have to seed and keep a good ratio, but it's SO worth it. I download full DVDs in an hour.

Meh. I'm a greedy bastard, I don't want to seed. I can wait a couple days for gigs of data.

Torrentleech.org is a private tracker and has everything and very good d/l speeds. You have to keep your ratio above .4 or donate every 3 months. There are also some stipulations with torrent software and settings that must be set-up before you start downloading stuff. I do not currently have invites because I haven't donated in a while but sometimes they have open signups (very rare). Maybe someone has an invite on here?

I much prefer usenet to torrenting. I get all of my movies and tv shows through usenet. I only use torrents for music or more obscure stuff.

However, when I use torrents I prefer isohunt.com and mininova.org. Mininova is more user friendly, but isohunt provides better search results IMHO.

thepiratebay used to be good as well, but it lost a major lawsuit and was ordered to shut down. it's status is very tenuous.

Ok trying this for the first time.. feel free to pm me if I am doing it wrong... went to mininova.. tried downloading a movie and a cd.. it opened up limewire on my computer and it is searching for people with this file.. still hasn't found anyone.. just says connecting on the bottom of the limewire console.

2manytoys, you need to download utorrent its freeware. limewire is a torrent with a built in search engine. just so everybody knows downloading from a public tracker like mininova.org will get you a letter in the mail saying you have been downloading illegal material. that's why its best to use a private site, that has a private tracker where nobody can see what your downloading or uploading.

Archived