• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Road

Delhommey

Holy hell that was the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Seeing as they're planning to release the movie version during Christmas, I fully expect people offing themselves in the theater bathroom.

Ugh, I wish I could unread that book.

just read a synopsis...I think I will pass

This book doesn't make you cry. This book crushes your soul with despair.

I wish I could have cried.

Cormac McCarthy is a bummer to read. Some of his books are interesting, but it seems like the underlying theme of all of his books is that evil will always win out over good. I've only read his more recent stuff, but I hear his Western genre stuff is great, although similarly dark/disturbing.

And they've already effed up the movie by crowbarring in a larger part for the role of the wife just b/c it's Charlize Theron.

I am sure if there were a disaster of the magnitude of the one in the book, things would get pretty bad pretty quick, but I don't think there would be roving bands of cannibals in the span of only 10 years.

Cormac McCarthy is a bummer to read. Some of his books are interesting, but it seems like the underlying theme of all of his books is that evil will always win out over good. I've only read his more recent stuff, but I hear his Western genre stuff is great, although similarly dark/disturbing.

And they've already effed up the movie by crowbarring in a larger part for the role of the wife just b/c it's Charlize Theron.

I am sure if there were a disaster of the magnitude of the one in the book, things would get pretty bad pretty quick, but I don't think there would be roving bands of cannibals in the span of only 10 years.

10 years is a little long

The Road is great, but you can take what you want from the ending. Some see it as hopeful, some see it as another sign of mankind's impending extinction.

If you liked it, though, and you also like Westerny stuff, I'd recommend "Blood Meridian." Someone mentioned McCarthy's stuff is all about evil conquering good, and while I don't know if that's true, I do know Blood Meridian fits that description to a tee.

Archived