• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Postgame Notes - Saints Game

Jeremy Igo

McCAFFREY ADDS TO TOUCHDOWN TOTAL

·         Christian McCaffrey scored his fourth receiving touchdown of the season on a 21-yard play in the second quarter. It marked his sixth total touchdown of the season. Tied for the most on the team with Devin Funchess. McCaffrey finished with five receptions for 23 yards. He also rushed for 16 yards on six carries.

·         McCaffrey has 64 receptions this season, leading all NFL running backs. He has 995 all-purpose yards, the second-most of any Panthers rookie through 12 games all-time.

FUNCHESS GRABS SIXTH RECEIVING TOUCHDOWN

·         Devin Funchess made his team-best sixth touchdown reception of the season in the fourth quarter. He finished with 60 receiving yards on four catches.

·         Funchess has averaged 86.5 receiving yards with three touchdowns over the last four games as Carolina’s lead receiver.

TAKEAWAY STREAK CONTINUES

·         Carolina recorded a takeaway for the fifth game in a row. In the second quarter, Mike Adams stripped Josh Hill and Luke Kuechly recovered the fumble, leading to a Panthers touchdown.

·         It marked Kuechly’s second consecutive game with a fumble recovery. This season, he has five total takeaways (three interceptions, two fumble recoveries), which ties for the second-most in the NFL.

NEWTON TOPS 500 RUSHING YARDS

·         Cam Newton led the team in rushing for the fifth game this season. He finished with 51 yards on six rushes.

·         Newton now has 515 rushing yards, leading all NFL quarterbacks. It marks the 10th time a QB had at least 500 rushing yards through 12 games since 2000.

·         Newton has rushed for over 500 yards in six of his seven NFL seasons, joining Randall Cunningham and Michael Vick as the only quarterbacks with at least six 500-yard rushing seasons.

ADDISON KEEPS SACKING

·         Mario Addison has 8.5 sacks this season, tied with Julius Peppers for the team lead.

·         Addison has 16.5 sacks over the last 19 games dating back to last season. He ranks fourth in the NFL in sacks over that stretch.

19 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Saints played a really good game.  As much as I hate those fuggers, I cant deny them that.  Fans were loud.  They played to their strengths and kept mistakes to a minimum.  Carolina got out coached and out played.

All you gotta do to match Rivera in the coaching department is have a scarecrow planted on the sidelines.

All you gotta do to outcoach Rivera is show up in person.

33 minutes ago, chknwing said:

Saints played a really good game.  As much as I hate those fuggers, I cant deny them that.  Fans were loud.  They played to their strengths and kept mistakes to a minimum.  Carolina got out coached and out played.

They really did. As much as it pains some of us to admit, the Saints are a very good team. They run the poo out of the ball, and have a HoF QB. They are going to be a problem for anyone they face.

Doesn't mean we aren't a good team, because we are.....they just have our number this year. If we have to play them again in January I think the outcome will be different.

55 minutes ago, joemac said:

They really did. As much as it pains some of us to admit, the Saints are a very good team. They run the poo out of the ball, and have a HoF QB. They are going to be a problem for anyone they face.

Doesn't mean we aren't a good team, because we are.....they just have our number this year. If we have to play them again in January I think the outcome will be different.

Rivera and company had an entire offseason to come up with a game plan to beat basically the same Broncos team that beat them in the Super Bowl, but WITHOUT Peyton Manning. And they lost the exact same way. I'm dubious they can make adjustments based on lessons learned from these two losses.

But I will say, the way the Panthers play in the post-season is wholly different. So while I think our staff doesn't have what it takes to adjust, I think our leaders in the locker room do. Cam and Luke can win running solely on piss and vinegar, and the Saints have filled them with plenty of that this year.

Archived