• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Giving up before the half with two time outs.... Do u agree?

Jeremy Igo

7 hours ago, NanuqoftheNorth said:

I seriously doubt Ron would admit it.

Why would he?

Rivera's decision not to attempt to score any additional points just prior to halftime aligns perfectly with his overly passive coaching philosophy.

#Playnottolose

I used to say it more jokingly, but I've come to fully believe it lately.

Ron Rivera doesn't value points.  I'm totally serious.

He believes that with a "formula" of running the ball, maintaining time of possession, and playing good defense that football "magic" will occur and amazingly at the end of the game you'll somehow be ahead of the other team.  But if you actively TRY to score points?  *GASP*  Why, something BAD might happen!  And we just can't have that now, can we?  It might put pressure on his precious defense!

13 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Irritates me beyond belief.

Do you agree with Rivera? Best to give up and get the ball after the half?

It depends on what teams we are playing, and if we are down.  For a team like the Saints who can put up points, you need to take every opportunity to score that you get.  Being down 7 was even more incentive to at least try for a field goal.

1 hour ago, tiger7_88 said:

I used to say it more jokingly, but I've come to fully believe it lately.

Ron Rivera doesn't value points.  I'm totally serious.

He believes that with a "formula" of running the ball, maintaining time of possession, and playing good defense that football "magic" will occur and amazingly at the end of the game you'll somehow be ahead of the other team.  But if you actively TRY to score points?  *GASP*  Why, something BAD might happen!  And we just can't have that now, can we?  It might put pressure on his precious defense!

That's his problem. He puts too much trust in his defense. As long as we keep trying to play 70's & 80's ball, we're not going anywhere 

Just now, gorillamilitia13 said:

Which is just ridiculous. Cam is a great qb and your franchise, the reason you are still employed. Give him a shot. 

Agreed, worked out well versus Atlanta. And at one point we were one of the best teams at scoring within last two minutes of the half.

Archived