• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Coach's film on the CMC long run....

Jeremy Igo

2 hours ago, MasterAwesome said:

How the hell is Funchess supposed to block his guy in that scenario? That’s a block-in-the-back waiting to happen. He seemingly took his guy out of the play before CMC cut back inside, at which point it was way too late for Funchess to do anything about it.

Hit him coming off the line. Funchess was with him the whole way.

14 minutes ago, rayzor said:

he did hit him at the line (somewhat). by the time the play came back to that side of the field Funchess was behind the corner now if he knew the play was coming back his way I'm sure he might have tried to be in position to block for CMC better.

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

stays outside he's gone. i don't know what to tell you guys. if he can't beat that man than why did they draft him?

wouldn't have been an issue if he hasn't made a habit of doing this all season. has pac12 running instincts like reggie bush. shame. 

Yeah I have no idea why we drafted him man. I mean JStew with his 1.8 yards per carry obviously would have beaten him to the end zone there. That's why we drafted him after all. 

The real problem I have with him is not only can he not run behind our garbage run blocking but the dude isn't even going to eclipse 100 receptions his rookie year.

Its obvious Cam hates the kid. He refuses to target him. No trust whatsoever. I mean, this guy is 21. He's old enough to drink ffs but he can't eclipse 100 receptions or do better than a 40 yard run in his first NFL season? 

I remember Funchess hauling in 1,800 yards and 22 TDs his first year. Hell, Stewart set a rookie rushing record didn't he?

I may have the Stewart facts wrong but he DEFINITELY would have scored there. That's why we took him in the first round all those years ago. The guy breaks those kind of runs at least twice a game for us.

You know what, lets just cut him. He's 11 games into his career, at this point we've seen all he will ever have to offer. Frankly I'm not impressed. Kids in the NFL just don't improve beyond 10 games anymore. He'll be 22 next season. He's only gonna start slowing down from here as he gets old. Man. Worst draft ever. What a bust.

Wish we had Deangelo Williams back. Talk about a TD run. He would have probably scored twice on that play. But all we get is a 40 yard gain. Sigh. This is the worst 8-3 season ever. I don't even want to watch us play the Saints next week.

(This is literally how you sound right now... let it sink in)

1 minute ago, TheMostInterestingMan said:

Yeah I have no idea why we drafted him man. I mean JStew with his 1.8 yards per carry obviously would have beaten him to the end zone there. That's why we drafted him after all. 

The real problem I have with him is not only can he not run behind our garbage run blocking but the dude isn't even going to eclipse 100 receptions his rookie year.

Its obvious Cam hates the kid. He refuses to target him. No trust whatsoever. I mean, this guy is 21. He's old enough to drink ffs but he can't eclipse 100 receptions or do better than a 40 yard run in his first NFL season? 

I remember Funchess hauling in 1,800 yards and 22 TDs his first year. Hell, Stewart set a rookie rushing record didn't he?

I may have the Stewart facts wrong but he DEFINITELY would have scored there. That's why we took him in the first round all those years ago. The guy breaks those kind of runs at least twice a game for us.

You know what, lets just cut him. He's 11 games into his career, at this point we've seen all he will ever have to offer. Frankly I'm not impressed. Kids in the NFL just don't improve beyond 10 games anymore. He'll be 22 next season. He's only gonna start slowing down from here as he gets old. Man. Worst draft ever. What a bust.

Wish we had Deangelo Williams back. Talk about a TD run. He would have probably scored twice on that way. But all we get is a 40 yard gain. Sigh. This is the worst 8-3 season ever. I don't even want to watch us play the Saints next week.

This response is EPIC.......lol

55 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Jeremy says CMC was probably expecting Funchess to have helped by blocking his guy. So the implication is that this help was coming as CMC made his cut...not at the start of the play as the CB was coming off the line. Expecting a WR to stonewall a CB at the line when the CB is reacting to the RB is a very difficult task. The rush was clearly designed to go right, so Funchess and the CB are on the opposite side of the field and would normally be in no position to impact the play, except that CMC cut to the left and into his CB. In a run play to the opposite side of the field, the WR maintaining a block on the CB through the entirety of the play would generally be inconsequential. I would imagine his role is nothing beyond keeping the CB engaged and taking him out of the play, which is what Funchess had done until CMC cut towards him.

I’m obviously not an expert but that’s my take on the situation. I don’t think CMC necessarily made a poor decision (I do think he had a better chance if he kept right, but it’s inconclusive at best), but I also don’t think Funchess was at fault whatsoever. 

You all know that these decisions happen in a split second and most of the time the pro's dont get them right. He is just a rookie. Every running back you watch you are like, man he was 1 step away from breaking it, or ooh if he got past the guy,...he gone.  This was a great run, /endofdebate

Archived