• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thank god for 14 non offensive points.

Jeremy Igo

4 minutes ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Just want to reiterate one point.  We gave the Jets only their third loss at home.  Their first and second loss at home came from New England and Atlanta, last year's super bowl teams.   The Pats beat them by 7, the Falcons by 5.  They are a tough team at home, and we found a way to beat them.  That is all that matters.   

They had way more talent than I expected. There oline kept us in check till they wore out. 

6 hours ago, Snake said:

They had way more talent than I expected. There oline kept us in check till they wore out. 

Exactly, they are basically where a lot of teams including the Panthers have been when the ball bounces the wrong way, bad luck, coaching whatever is not working but they are basically a really good team.

They were also playing for the last hope of playoffs which is always tough.

Luckily we squeezed out the win and hopefully it's character building for the rest of the season.

8 hours ago, Snake said:

Julio Jones dropped a wide open ball. I expect Funchess to come back with 3 TD grabs next week. 

I like Funchess, in fact my post was more arguing that normally we wouldn't have needed those defensive and special team points

I've hated our ST play for the last couple of years. None of the returners have looked like they can beat a man or can read the seams as the blocks form in front of them. Clay looks like he has exactly that so I hope they stick with him. I was hoping that CMC might be a little more dynamic and elusive in ST but based on what he's shown so far, I think I would rather we didn't use him for this job unless necessary.

In the Baltimore game tonight they made reference to the Gosselin ST ranking system which assesses various criteria and produces a season to season ranking. In 2016 we ranked 21st (which surprised me because we were higher than I had thought we would be.)

How important is ST? Here's an interesting stat from this article

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dallas-cowboys/cowboys/2017/02/15/rick-gosselins-2016-nfl-special-teams-rankings-see-high-cowboys-jumped-nfc-east-teams-1-league

:

Quietly, though, special-teamers of today underscored their value both on the game and on the field this season. Three of the NFL's Top 11 defenses qualified for the playoffs this past season. Six of the Top 11 offenses qualified for the playoffs. But seven of top 11 special teams qualified, including the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots and division champs Dallas, Kansas City and Seattle.

The Patriots finished sixth in special teams according to rankings compiled annually by The Dallas Morning News. The Chiefs finished third, the Seahawks 10th and the Cowboys 11th. In addition, wild-card qualifiers Detroit finished second, Miami seventh and Oakland ninth.

Archived