• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam joins the 4000 club

Jeremy Igo

The records are great. The wins help. But, IMO, Cam revolutionized the position. He proved you can be more than just a Statue. That just because you CAN run, does not automatically you will have a short career.

Since Cam exploded onto the scene. More, and more, teams are allowing their QB to be a part of the running game. He has shown that a running QB can truly be a viable option.  

Cam is a QB that can run. That was just not allowed, until Cam smashed that myth all to heck.

He'll never get credit for it outside his fanbase, but like @iamhubby1 said, he somewhat revolutionized the modern QB position after his rookie season.  Immediately after his rookie season and the introduction of the read option to the NFL you started seeing the RG3's, Kaepernick's, Wilson's of the world and even now guys like Watson, Prescott, Taylor and Wentz.

He's had a lot of ups and downs but Cam was the catalyst for this sudden influx of new age QBs you see in the league today.  I didn't include Luck since he was already a shoe-in prospect before we even knew what Cam was going to be but even he is pretty damn similar in play style to Cam.

If they take impact to the game into account along with his production and accolades then Cam should no doubt be a shoe-in for the HOF

Also, funny thing to keep an eye on over the course of his career:

Cam, as a quarterback, is on pace to crack top 15 all-time rushing TDs if he plays a full lengthy QB career.  12 of those top 15 rushing TD leaders are HOF RBs with one of them still being an active player in Adrian Peterson.  So basically 13 since AP is a sure-fire 1st ballot HOFer.

He doesn't seem to be slowing down his rushing TD production much at all and there's no reason to think he'll ever stop being a rushing TD weapon at the goal line.  So yeah, interesting thing to keep track of as his career unfolds and if he does hit that benchmark then he should be a guaranteed 1st ballot HOFer.

Hell, even right now there's only 6 active RBs higher than him in the all-time rushing TD list:  AP, Forte, Lynch, McCoy, CJ2K, and Frank Gore.  All 6 of those dudes are either at or nearing the end of their career and Cam ain't far behind any of them besides AP, Lynch and Gore.  Lol once they all retire Cam will be the active rushing TD leader and be passing a few of them up in all-time the next few years provided he stays healthy. 

I don't know for sure but I'd be willing to bet everything there's never been a QB that was the active NFL rushing TD leader.

15 hours ago, Hotsauce said:

Serious question. What % would you give Cam to make the HOF?

(Assuming he continues to break these types of records/milestones)

I’d say:

No Super Bowl: 80%

Superb Owl: 100%

On a run based team, on pace to finish in top 5 all time in PASSING YARDS.

Will finish 1st all time in rushing yards

Will finish his career near 7-8k rushing yards....that in of itself is a good career for a running back.

Will finish his career with more rushing TDs than 99% of all active running backs. 

Is he a lock now? No.

But he is on pace to have a very special place in the HOF. There is not another player of his caliber to sniff the NFL.

As an organization, lets all pray for another 7-10+ years from Cam. 

He is on pace for a HOF career, but he will also face a ton of QB's with absurd numbers.

Playing right now...you have Eli, Ben, Rivers, Rodgers, Stafford, Brees, Brady, Cam, and possibly Ryan who are all on record breaking type trajectories.

There will be a HUGE bottleneck, and many of the writers may look down upon the QB's from this era who don't have titles, and 8-10+ winning seasons in their career.

Cam will likely need to play another 5 seasons, and probably make multiple deep postseason runs to be a 1st or 2nd ballot guy.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Seriously?

I mean, who with a brain doesn't want Cam here?

Not sure if you're agreeing or disputing.

I mean just read any gameday thread. Or maybe you weren't posting much at the beginning of the season, the anti-Newton contingent was especially vocal when he was still getting back up to speed from the shoulder. Even Jeremy has no issue riding that wave when it suits him.

30 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Not sure if you're agreeing or disputing.

I mean just read any gameday thread. Or maybe you weren't posting much at the beginning of the season, the anti-Newton contingent was especially vocal when he was still getting back up to speed from the shoulder. Even Jeremy has no issue riding that wave when it suits him.

Oh, I think there are people out there who don't like/approve of Cam for a myriad of reasons, I just don't engage them, or read what they post or say.  There is no reason to further their narrative.

Just pointing out that you are reading and listening to these folks, and they are just dumb...stop letting them bring you down.

And the game threads...I think I have only posted in 2 of them over the last few years, and I rarely if ever read them, I'm either watching the game, or working...and that's rare.

My point, people are pretty dumb, fanatics can be dumber, don't let it bother you.

Archived