• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roger Goodell wants a 40% raise

Jeremy Igo

He deserves a raise.  Why?  Because the brand is worth more now than when he signed his contract.  He has 18 months left on his contract and this is just the beginning of his negotiations.  We may not like Roger Goodell, but he has made a lot of money for the owners.  He will most likely get an extension no matter what Jerry wants.  May not be 40% raise, but he does deserve something. If he doesn't get it the next Commissioner will.

His salary is just a smidgin of the overall money being made by the NFL. Compare that to how small the NFL was right before he took over, how he has navigated and negotiated labor and revenue streams, and how he has been the one to take the lumps for the league and that $50 million price tag is good value for the money.

Interesting read.  A fair point is that Jones doesn't want major decisions exclusively being made by small committees. Also, I've read elsewhere that another point of contention is that Goodell still has 18 months left on his current deal.  Given the state of the league, maybe see how he adjusts, either good or bad, then decide if it's worth the extension.  I would speculate though that while Jones may argue over money and Goodell's competency, the others view Goodell as a buffer against real discussions on CTE, something far more detrimental to their business.  Goodell's shenanigans keep CTE moving down the list of things to talk about.  

I still think you guys are looking at the 50M number and aren't realizing just how little that is per team.

Do you think that Richardson is fretting over 1.5M...when he doesn't ever have to be the "bad guy", and his team value since Roger took over has grown from about 950M to 1.56B?

Let it be known, I'm not a fan of Roger Goodell, but this salary, when running a business like the NFL isn't that absurd.  I would tell him to shove the jet and lifelong healthcare somewhere I couldn't see it though.

On 11/15/2017 at 8:34 AM, AggieLean said:

Also, I fail to see how Goodell screwed up when it came to the protest. Well, not unless you feel Goodell should’ve banned or made the players stand. 

As for his raise; I don’t blame him for starting high. If they give it to him, that’s great for him. I thought we were all taught to start high.

people think that even though the protests broke 0 NFL rules, Goodell could have just waved a magic wand and made those thugs just be quiet.

Goodell does not have an easy job. Just keeping 32 Billionaires relatively happy  is a mountain. He and the NFLPA don't really get along and are constantly battling. Despite that resided as an owner friendly CBA was negotiated. He has to manage CTE, protests, domestic violence. Despite all of this he has ensured that the owners are getting richer through TV deals and global expansion and everything else.

Goodell is effectively the CEO of a $14B company which is making its shareholders pretty happy. Jones is pissed that Goodell suspended his player. Nobody is going to take this job without being paid a huge amount of money..

Archived